TGP rear suspension

Addicted To Boost

well coilovers arent gunna be smooth riding even with a 200 lb spring...

id go with a flex a form rear spring if i were you nick, for best ride quality-

like i dont think a w-body will every be a confortable ride IMO, especially a tgp

the combo of old technology, and 245 series tires, every bump is felt regardless

Yeah I realize that- I'm just trying to find the best stuff I can put on my TGP to make it a little more fun and a little more comfortable than my non-moving rear end- I'm sick of no rear suspension lol. If I could get something that makes it handle REALLY well, I would give up my ride quality some. It would be nice if it rode a little nicer, though. Idk just putting that out there.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• 97loudcut

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

the struts are fine, the rear wheels just dont seem to drop as much as they did before when i lift the vehicle up as when it was stock.

my 275 pound springs are bearable for dialy driving unless there are a lot of potholes and crap, moreso w/ my 215/55/16 all seaons than w/ my 245/45/16 summers, of course. the car handles very well with them too. if i wanted something for all-around comfort and handling, i would probably go w/ the 250# springs, but if i was to keep the car and drive it a lot, i would probably get a set of 200# for daily driving and 350 or so for auto-x. i would have got a flex-a-form leaf if i didnt get these coilovers for so cheap. the f-a-f leaf at the time didnt lower the car enough either, but thats apparantly been fixed.

Well I'm still thinkin of going with coilovers. How soon do you think you will have yours in Matt? I'm anxious to see/hear the results. :cool:

Has anybody put rear coilovers into their 1st gen? What parts do I need, other than the coils and struts to do this complete conversion?

all teh parts you need you can get off FFP's site.

Josh actually found all the parts to make your own CO set....its teh same stuff that FFP uses and is ~$200 cheaper.

I have the FFP's and love them.

EDIT

I've got the 250 lb springs w/ 245/50/16 summer performance tires and love the ride.

it is perfect.

I have the FFP's and love them.

I've got the 250 lb springs w/ 245/50/16 summer performance tires and love the ride.

it is perfect.

AWESOME!! That is my setup, so I'll run the 250 coilovers. :cool:

Josh actually found all the parts to make your own CO set....its teh same stuff that FFP uses and is ~$200 cheaper.

Where can I get these parts cheaply?

All the parts? Last I saw, he didn't need the upper mount. That's one important part I don't think you can just go out and buy.

All the parts? Last I saw, he didn't need the upper mount. That's one important part I don't think you can just go out and buy.

that is true Shawn, but IIRC, Josh said the KYB mount will work w/ the spring......IIRC he said you don't need the aluminum mount....

Got my KYB's all around now. Just installed them last week. Also installed the leaf spring pad risers. All I got to say is what a big difference with the KYB's. Now wheres the ADDCO Bar?

I would try these struts as they are just plain awesome and my handling is really good now. I had Monroe Sensetracs before and they were horrible. The back end felt as if it was going to coming out from underneath the car. Total opposite now.

he got the parts from affco racing and had the sleeve honed out a little. he already had springs from the tdc coilovers but you can get them from affco. i have been running on just the strut mounts for a year without any problems, actually seemingly less than others have had.

/hijack

• 2 weeks later...

I know what NO rear suspension feels like in my TGP (seized rear struts) and I'm not likin it- I'm gonna wait for Matt to get his 250's in his Cutty and report back.

didn't read 5 pages of posts....but I got 250 lb springs and they are just right...

i'd recommend them.

I know what NO rear suspension feels like in my TGP (seized rear struts) and I'm not likin it- I'm gonna wait for Matt to get his 250's in his Cutty and report back.

didn't read 5 pages of posts....but I got 250 lb springs and they are just right...

i'd recommend them.

Perfect. Looks like Matt will be putting his CO's in his Cutty tonite, I'll be anxious to see how they perform as well.

I got them on tonight, and it feels great.

I did hear one instance of the "clunking" when I pulled into a store and the rear wheels went over this bump at opposite times. Other than that there has been no squeaks or anything. It feels really sporty out back too. If you go over a speed bump there is none of that bouncing, the car comes down off the speed bump and settles nicely.

I really don't know what else to describe. Ask me a question and I will answer it.

Cool, sound really good so far. I think someone here has a fix for the creaking?? When you get a chance to do some hard cornering and fast driving, let me know how it handles then. If you have driven it much yet, how stiff are the 250's with the KYB's? Soft/stiff, sporty, combination between those? Would you recommend anything softer/stiffer, or are those adequate for a sporty ride? that's pretty much what I would like to know.

Thanks Matt :cool:

Well I DD my car. Michael said 250 and I think it is a wise choice. It is not soft by ANY means but it isn't SUPER stiff. Very sporty feeling.. like I said it is almost like it "recovers" from bumps after you go over them. It feels great.. no complaints!

Perfect. :cool: I take my TGP on the occasional road trip, and when it is nice out in the summer, it gets the some-days-I-drive-it duty. I think I will go for the 250's, especially after hearing that 300's are super stiff.

i've taken two 7 hr + road trips w/ my CO's and love them...

What springs are you running? 250's? I've decided to get coilovers, but I'm trying to make a final decision on springs.

you can buy the mount seperate form FFP now, Oh and Kuntzie i don't know where you get the impression of not being able to get a quality ride out of coilovers, mine ride great, they just squeak sooooooo damn bad.