TGP rear suspension

Addicted To Boost

Good to know! Thanks for all the info everyone! It looks like I'll be going with the FFP coilovers once I have some money. Are there any other suspension upgrades that are recommended? stb's, trailing arms, etc?

Thanks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addicted To Boost

• 97loudcut

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

I know running a 3.4 cutty STB on the front will do wonders for the front end, but what brand/company/ where can I get these trailing arms, STB's, and rear sway bars?

Just a recap for you Nick..

The FFP Coilovers have 6" of adjustable ride hieght. Also, when you order them.. contact Michael directly. He asked me what spring rate I wanted. He can get you anything you want.

Just a recap for you Nick..

The FFP Coilovers have 6" of adjustable ride hieght. Also, when you order them.. contact Michael directly. He asked me what spring rate I wanted. He can get you anything you want.

Good to know! :cool: What spring rate do you guys recommend?

I asked Lee at Held Motorsports what he would recommend, heres his answer

I would suggest a 350 or 400 lb spring in the front, and a 275 or 300 lb in the rear.

That sounds quite stiff for me, I think stock is in the neighborhood of 200, but no matter how many times I ask no one can give me a difinative answer. A while back I was considering peicing together my own coilovers with parts from AFCO, that fell through. But while I was doing that I asked the owner of the local speed shop and he recommended a 90lb spring rate... so the recommendations I have been given have gone from one extreme to the other.

The good news is, if you get them on the car and find that they are too stiff, or maybe you want stiffer, you can order new ones from AFCO HERE

Jamie

i have 275's and they are pretty f'in stiff for daily driving.

if you dont want to lower it, stick w/ a stock fiberglass monoleaf. granted if you get an addco rear swaybar, it will help, but the stock susp. w/ the monoleaf has a lot more lateral stability than w/ the coilovers and also more suspension travel. a birchmount leaf will only make the rear of your car heavier.i have a stock non-sagging leaf off my 96 that i might be willing to sell. im not saying that to make a sale, im not even sure if im ready to part with it anyway. just saying i wouldnt waste your money on the coilovers. if anything, i would piece them together yourself. if i had to do it again, i would go w/ a FAF leaf instead of coilovers i think.

I'm lookin at lowering the whole thing front and rear 1", with STB's, sway bar, and GMPP trailing arms. So I'll probably look at getting coilovers. How stiff are the 250's that you mentioned, Matt?

Wait a minute Pwmin- ur saying that a leaf has MORE suspension travel than coilovers? I can fix the slight loss of lateral stability with the coilovers, so that's not a problem. I'm looking to lower it an inch, and have a tight handling, but fairly smooth ride. My current oem leaf isn't sagging at all, but it is cracked. It would be nice to have a little adjustability, so I can experiment with ride height when I want to. :twisted:

if you want adjustability, the obvious choice is coilovers. now with my coilovers, when i pull out of my driveway, the one rear tire will be totally off the ground whereas i dont recall it ever doing that with the stock monoleaf. probably has to do with the fact that its lowered 3" in the back. w/ 1" it might not do that. if i would lower again and i could figure out exactly the amount lowered i need i would probably go w/ a faf leaf. i would go w coilovers over the birchmount.

if you want adjustability, the obvious choice is coilovers. now with my coilovers, when i pull out of my driveway, the one rear tire will be totally off the ground whereas i dont recall it ever doing that with the stock monoleaf. probably has to do with the fact that its lowered 3" in the back. w/ 1" it might not do that. if i would lower again and i could figure out exactly the amount lowered i need i would probably go w/ a faf leaf. i would go w coilovers over the birchmount.

That's strange- maybe you have a strut hanging up? Idk- anyway that is my choice right now- I can get coilovers or a birchmount- I think I should go with coilovers. The coilovers sound like a much better choice. Any more opinions?

In your opinion, can you do some hard cornering, yet have good road contact and feel without much body roll? Those are the things I'm after.

Alright sweet. Yea let me know how it all turns out- I'll be watching your thread as well. I'm not doing my suspension right away, unless my oem leaf decides to snap the next time I drive it.... lets hope not :lol:

How does your TGP ride with the 300's? In hard cornering, road contact, and body roll how does it feel? Ride quality as far as stiffness with 300's?

How does your TGP ride with the 300's? In hard cornering, road contact, and body roll how does it feel? Ride quality as far as stiffness with 300's?

never drove with them on. there is NO bounce at all though.. i know thery are going to be stiff as hell but thats what i was going for

I know what NO rear suspension feels like in my TGP (seized rear struts) and I'm not likin it- I'm gonna wait for Matt to get his 250's in his Cutty and report back.

Well honestly Kuntzie is going for tons of power and his TGP isn't his daily.

I want to handle good, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality. Don't get me wrong though, I do like sporty suspension.

BTW, upfront I have KYB struts and Eibach springs and it feels amazing.

I want to do KYB's on all 4's, and I haven't looked into what I'm gonna do for fronts. My TGP isn't going to have MONSTER power. I'm going to put my limit at 300HP, so I don't need anything super stiff. TGP isn't my DD, but I would like something that rides nice, since I take it on the occasional road trip. ;) I would like something that handles really well, that doesn't sacrifice a ton of ride quality. Obviously my TGP isn't gonna ride like a Cadillac, but I would like it to ride semi-smoothly.

well coilovers arent gunna be smooth riding even with a 200 lb spring...

id go with a flex a form rear spring if i were you nick, for best ride quality-

like i dont think a w-body will every be a confortable ride IMO, especially a tgp

the combo of old technology, and 245 series tires, every bump is felt regardless