Where's a good location to pass my amp wiring through the firewall?

DiscoStudd

(Mods: This topic comes up quite often. Please move to the FAQ section)

Most Auto-Trans equipped 1st Generation W-Bodies have a large hole cut through the firewall between the driver's side strut tower and the brake master cylinder. The hole is plugged with a rubber grommet which can be easily drilled out to allow you to pass your amp wires through.

firewall.jpg

The reason for the giant hole in the firewall? Simple. It's where the clutch master cylinder is mounted on the W-Bodies that received Manual Transmissions.

For manual equipped w's, use a 1/8" to 3/4" step drill bit, find the brake or clutch master cylinder on the inside firewall, then about 5-6" below that, drill a hole, and use a grommet to prevent the insulation from being cut.

For manual equipped w's, use a 1/8" to 3/4" step drill bit, find the brake or clutch master cylinder on the inside firewall, then about 5-6" below that, drill a hole, and use a grommet to prevent the insulation from being cut.

Also, most people will want to drill the hole bigger than what is needed or else it would be a bitch to get the wire through the grommet, but on top of this, I would also find some sort of foam, of insulation, or even the factory sound deadening to make a "shield" on the interior side of the firewall.

• 11 months later...

ok i do have another topic going so lock this is you so wish but the location indicated in the pic i have a 3.4 international car and there seem to be alot more activity in that location any sugesstions as to how i might work around that or another location?