Broke cast coolent inlet beside dist-cover

ihateallmustangs

Ok i was changing the oil ring seal and ended up bending that large "clip in" coolent inlet that goes to the intake right below the temp sender. I tried to get the rest out with an easy out but with no luck I had to resort to a band aid fix of coarse I used a old oil drain plug with some pcv tape wrapped on the threads then hi temp gasket maker silicone. Clearly I have no heat in my car now. Has anyone dont this if so how did you go about removeing that broken peice? Or is there another source I can tap into somwhere on the cars cooling system to get heat until I fix this problem?

thanks

it sucks. i forget how we did the lumina one in the car cause that was ~11 years ago(ie - it broke in 95 and the car was a 93 - those fittings suck that bad). my truck had the same one, broke off. i took a drill to open the hole to fit a hacksaw blade, then took a hacksaw blade and cut it in half, wrapped some tape on it so i didnt cut my hands, and used it to cut the fitting to the threads in quarters, then used my pick to get it out. put pipe thread sealant on the new steel replacement fitting and no leaks.

Thanks! I thik that will work out just fine , once you pull the TB off these things and move the gas lines out of the way theres enough room to do just that. Of coarse these fittings are made of butter.

Is this the part you are talking about?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,50247.0.html

i don't know if it's the same on the 3100 as on your engine. Theres a little plastic clip in it which bend and then started leaking. Changed that part shown (has the plastic nipple in it) it cost me $14. Used a big socket to remove it.

yeah but his broke clean off. the older ones are made of ? some sort of shitty metal that deteriorates. parts stores sell a plated steel replacement that won't corrode away like the originals.

yeah but his broke clean off. the older ones are made of ? some sort of shitty metal that deteriorates. parts stores sell a plated steel replacement that won't corrode away like the originals.

Yes its made of cast or some soft soft shit. CBAD that could be the part yours looks a little different mine was a little bigger and has a clip in feature. If yours will fit inside my intake i will make the nessesary mods to make it work.. BTW what do i ask for at the parts store?

I would ask for Coolant fitting on the lower intake. Maybe they have pics on the computer (I got mine at work, GM dealership). I replaced mine at work (in the wash bay at lunch :lol:) I did it there incase the part broke, so I could just get a mechanic. Luckly it came off in 1 piece, the mechanics said it could break removing it, but I did it slowly and it didn't.

I was able to get a broken one out with a 4-point ease-out a few years ago. And yeah, in the Help section at Advance, like $9. The new ones are actual metal instead of the pot-metal the old ones are made of.

I broke one last week while taking the manifold off. Lucklily I had a replacement manifold with a new pipe so I didn't bother to take the old one out. I think they are thread locked from the factory so heating it up might help.

I've broke 3 of them... so far. I think. I've replaced five?

i broke the one in my 91 vert and need to replace it. And I've used the hacksaw method on others that broke.

hacksaw method :thumb:

sorry to hijack...I broke the plastic clip on mine but the clip was still good on one side so I just put it back the way it is. Haven't started the car yet but do you guys think it will leak?

they sell the plastic clips seperately, btw.

it might. it might not. but i would fix it right. if you still have the pot metal type replace it with an updated fitting no matter what.

Didnt go so well , i got a new part from GM that was redsigned with better metal. But i could not get alote of that old metal out. So fater hours i threaded in the temp sensor into that hole and used some RTV , that works nice and tight no leaks! Now I have got get a fitting so I can run my heater core hose into the temp sender hole. Anyone know the size of the temp sendor threads?

they sell the plastic clips seperately, btw.

it might. it might not. but i would fix it right. if you still have the pot metal type replace it with an updated fitting no matter what.

got a part number by any chance?

Heres what I did. I went and got a iron half in plug fitting and rethreaded it into the insert were the stock one wouldent go back in. I placed the temp sendor back in its original spot. I then used the main throttle body coolent line and tapped that into my heater core line with some extra hose. Presto problem solved no leaks. I simply plugged the old TB coolent inlets with rtv to keep dirt out.I then plugged the other line that ran to the TB with a brass plug.

Keep this all in mind if you ever run into a jam. cheers