buying coilover parts separately & some questions

Guest TurboSedan

OK... I have a new concern.... I dunno if anyone will be able to address this one...

I live in London Ontario, the car is currently in my fathers name and will be getting transfered to mine in August of next year... to transfer it to my name we have to get a safety certification done. Anyone know if this whole making my own mount or letting the spring rest against the stock mount will effect my ability to get that safety?

Jamie

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CSI_MuNkY

• TurboSedan

• pwmin

• GnatGoSplat

Guest TurboSedan

i seriously doubt they would notice or even know how it was stock for that matter.

it if does turn out to be a problem, just thow the monoleaf back in, get it certified, then put the coilovers back in.

any updates?

i haven't gotten anything done with mine yet :neutral:

this week i've been concentrating on installing my new KYB GR-2 front strut cartridges which have been giving me hell :rolleyes:

where is this topic, tim?

having problems with the inserts? that was easy when i did mine.

so, youre a newbie, now, huh?

lol yeah. the problem i had was that the tool i rented wouldn't work with KYB strut in particular (the "leverage bar" had a different thread pitch than the KYBs strut shaft). i have the GM W-body strut tool on the way here thanks to Dave (Invasion1). that tool works in a completely different way so i should have no problems installing the KYBs then.

A little update where I'm at....

I haven't progressed any farther on the CAD drawing aside from moving the spring in to place where it belongs.

I'm going either later today or tuesday of next week to see about getting prices on some more components, specifically ones in red. When/if I find any I will post about them...

Based on the prices I have already gotten, I've opted to go with ST spring up front, as nice as the adjustability of CO up front would be, the money is just not there. Right now I'm looking at spring for all this to go down. I will probably buy new mounts within the next month or so and start modifying them to make a proper seat for the spring. The idea in my head should be fool proof.

Jamie

OK...

I can get a kit containing the sleeves and adjuster nut in black for $59 per side Springs will be another $100.

Are we sure the FFP springs are a 250lb spring? I was talking to the guy at the shop, and he has done a coil over conversion on his chevelle and he is only running 150lb springs! He said I might want to think about going as light as 90LB... of course you have to take into account his is RWD ours are FWD but his car is only about 400lbs heavier...

Total price per side...

Springs - $50ish each

CO kit - $59

Strut - $77

Mount - $55

Total - $241 per side CDN ($482 total)

Helds rear stage 2 kit $553 CDN (so far I'd only save $70 before taxes)

FFPs with strut I've never gotten a price on, so I don't know how they compare to this new number...

I'm going to send my dad an e-mail and have him look up the same spec parts in his summit racing catalogue and see what the prices are like there.

I also asked about the front lowering springs... $320!!! :willynilly: But the catalogue lists it as 4 springs :confused:

Jamie

Are we sure the FFP springs are a 250lb spring?

i think i'm the one that mentioned that earlier but i'm really not sure that is correct (just something i thought i heard someone claim before). does anyone here know?

OK... so I found out that the FFP kist are $520 Canadian, so I'd only be saving $40... kinda makes the addition of the mount worth it....

Also, I'm finding out now (after downloading the FFP install instructions) that the threaded sleeve is a 7" peice, the price of the kit I got was for a 5".

Mounts... the price of a new mount jacks up my cost extensively, could I technically just refurbish the upper OEM strut mount? I have to modify it anyways... And to me it looks mostly steal anyways...

Re-using the existing mounts will knock $110 off my install

We need to find out that spring rate... otherwise playing with different springs will jack up the costs more... Someone call FFP or Held and find out, lol... I wonder if they have been notified of this thread yet? lol

Jamie

ok... here it is... my idea.. in the yellow

springseat.jpg

on the bottom there you can see a section of the Seat... all it woudl be is a L shaped peice of steel bent into a circle and welded to the existing mount.

I'm having issues drawing cones in cad, but I would also include a cone shape made of a rubber of some sort on the strut rod. A soft material in case the strut ever fully compresses, something hard may damage the strut.

Your thoughts?

Jamie

ok... here it is... my idea.. in the yellow

springseat.jpg

on the bottom there you can see a section of the Seat... all it woudl be is a L shaped peice of steel bent into a circle and welded to the existing mount.

I'm having issues drawing cones in cad, but I would also include a cone shape made of a rubber of some sort on the strut rod. A soft material in case the strut ever fully compresses, something hard may damage the strut.

Your thoughts?

Jamie

wow i'm impressed!!! it's looking like a VERY well thought out design so far!!!

OK... so I found out that the FFP kist are $520 Canadian, so I'd only be saving $40... kinda makes the addition of the mount worth it....

Also, I'm finding out now (after downloading the FFP install instructions) that the threaded sleeve is a 7" peice, the price of the kit I got was for a 5".

Mounts... the price of a new mount jacks up my cost extensively, could I technically just refurbish the upper OEM strut mount? I have to modify it anyways... And to me it looks mostly steal anyways...

Re-using the existing mounts will knock $110 off my install

to be honest i'm not so much interested in making and/or buying a complete rear coilover kit (though i'd love to help if i can); i'm mostly just interested in just getting the sleeves (which i already have) and the adjuster nuts i need. i already have the springs and TDC upper mounts so i'm good to go there (not that the upper mount is something i like; but it works and i'm on a budget at the moment).

We need to find out that spring rate... otherwise playing with different springs will jack up the costs more... Someone call FFP or Held and find out, lol... I wonder if they have been notified of this thread yet? lol

Jamie

i'll try calling Michael at FFP and possibly Held too. i have a hunch they wouldn't like this thread though...after all it could possibly take away their customers.

I think they are no more than 200lb springs...

I went to the site where you were getting your Afco parts, they have 2 different springs, based on color the FFP ones (pictured on their site) are silver, matches up with the Hot Rod line up and the 12" springs only go up to 200lbs... Difference being that the Hot Rod ones are $62US over the yellows at $59 :willynilly:

Jamie

i have no idea what lb rating the yellow springs are that came with my TDC coilover kit. they never told me nor was that info posted on their website when i ordered them.

i wonder what rear spring lb rating would work well with the rather stiff Intrax front springs i use? fwiw KYB GR-2 struts all around.

fwiw, i think tdaye mentioned that the 180lb FAF leaf spring provided a nice ride quality...not sure if a monoleaf spring lb rating could be compared with the lb rating of two separate coil springs though.

i just went ahead and ordered the AFCO Racing adjuster nuts. i would have saved $10 had i ordered them at the same time as the sleeves (they charge $10 flat rate shipping on all US orders), but i wanted to be sure the sleeves would work first (and i'm 99.999% sure they will).

the sleeves only took 5 buisness days to get here, so they should show up this Friday, just in time for me to move to Virginia the next day :willynilly:

so after a little honing on the sleeves and the oven/freezer trick, i will finally be able to install my new KYB rear struts and strut mounts! unfortunately, i'll still have to drive to VA with one blown out strut since i won't have time to install the stuff.

If you can you definately have to get some pics of the process!!

I'm going to try and order some springs by the end of 2006 (if I don't get them for christmas) so I can hopefully build the upper spring mount while I save for all the struts

I'm putting each component on my christmas wish list I'm giving my parents, including part numbers out of my fathers summit racing catalogue! :burnout: not expecting to get everything, but parts would be real nice!

Jamie

I'm putting each component on my christmas wish list I'm giving my parents, including part numbers out of my fathers summit racing catalogue! :burnout: not expecting to get everything, but parts would be real nice!

Jamie

Instead, you will get socks and underwear.

Anyways, I'm interested in this thread as well. I wanna see some build pictures, and pictures of any modifications made.

:rolleyes:

well with nothing to add but a rolling eyes icon i feel the need to reply to that...

i wanted to ditch out on this thread because i obviously now have my own W-body forum to discuss this type of stuff. why stay at someone else's "party" when i can have it at my house? (sound familiar?). besides, crossposting the same info on two forums is a PITA and redundant. i have mentioned my forum here but never have (and never will) post links to it or otherwise spam my forum over here out of simple respect for you. my reasons for "leaving" this forum are valid and it doesn't have anything to do with you Shawn. but i don't want to get too off topic so i'll just shut up about that...

this is a good thread so i might as well continue for the sake of helping others. regardless if a member here wants to go to my forum or not - i still like to help people.

ok...so....an update. i got my AFCO adjuster nuts tonight. as was the case with my AFCO sleeves, they look exactly like the ones that came with my TDC kit. i also found a cylinder honing tool at NAPA that will hone cylinders from 2" up to either 5" or 7" (i can't remember the max diameter but it doesn't matter anyway). it's the type of tool that is used in a variable speed drill and has 3 rectangular abrasive stones. it should work perfectly but i'm not sure if the stones it comes with will work with aluminum or if they are for iron only. i'll have to go back and check. fwiw the tool cost $30.

i'll post a pic tomarrow...obviously not completed but you'll be able to see where i'm at with the project. the only thing left to do is hone the sleeves out a little and the new KYB GR-2 struts, new KYB strut mounts, and AFCO adjuster nuts and sleeves can finally be installed. but like i said, it probably won't be for a few weeks yet before it's all installed.

i'll keep you updated.

Update on my end....

I may be making my first attempt at creating my mount next weekend... if not it may end up waiting till I'm home for christmas... I don't have near the tools my father does.... Q-ball gave me his old struts and mounts, I will first try and get them apart and then I will be trying to weld my shelf angle to the lip of the mount...

I'll be sure to take some pics

Jamie

DSC03000.JPG

DSC03001.JPG

as you can see, the sleeves aren't quite sitting down on the strut body itself yet because there is a lip there that needs to be gound down with a Dremel (easy to do; takes like two minutes). after that the sleeves just need to be honed out of course and then they can slide down the strut body into place.

i'm going to check out that NAPA tool today and make sure it will be ok for honing aluminum. i might just buy it depeding on my money situation. it would be nice to have this taken care of before i leave for VA (one of the rear struts in the car is completly blown out).

kool kool!

Did we ever deside on the outside diameter of the springs? that will be something that I will need to know when I make the new seats, but I have no money for springs right now...

Jamie