Custom trunk lid liner; DIY page 7

slick

pshh, I wish it was that cheap here. Everyplace I went to around here quoted me $200-$400. :eek:

So therefore starting this week, Im going to be making my own.

i live near unique autosports, want a quote from them? :lol:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• 97loudcut

• 19Cutlass94

• Psych0matt

I personally would not make it out of wood. Too heavy.

I would use some kind of very strong foam board. I found some stuff at Hobby Lobby once that seemed like it might work, they have it in various thicknesses too. That would be significantly lighter.

I don't really care too much about the logo, but I always wanted a liner that extends to the very edge of the trunk lid like all the decent non-cheap cars have.

I personally would not make it out of wood. Too heavy.

I would use some kind of very strong foam board. I found some stuff at Hobby Lobby once that seemed like it might work, they have it in various thicknesses too. That would be significantly lighter.

I don't really care too much about the logo, but I always wanted a liner that extends to the very edge of the trunk lid like all the decent non-cheap cars have.

Hmm... I might have to make a run to the local store and see what they have. If they have something that is much lighter, but very sturdy, I'd like to use that instead. Much easier to cut and form, and TONS easier to mount to the trunk lid.

Theres a certian kind of wood ( I still cant remember the name of it! ) but its about 1/4" and its very sturdy and fairly light. I was going to make it out of that. I mean if you use two of the four bolts that hold the trunk lid on, you should have NO problems mounting it. Youll just need to find something for the top portion of it.

Remember that shit that you used in wood shop where if you made like a cabinet, its the backing of it, of it you made a drawer, you would cut the 1/4" slot in the bottom and put this in it. I just cannot remember what its called, but Im sure you guys know...

Yeah, regular foam would be fragile, I was thinking about that hobby store foam. I'm not sure what it's called, poster board foam or something like that? It's white and smooth on its surfaces and seems really tough. It doesn't break into tiny pieces like that packaging foam you're probably thinking of. I'd have to go check to make sure it's as strong as I'm remembering, but when my wife dragged me to the hobby store, I recall thinking I could use that to make trim panels.

Found the Foamboard you were speaking of Shawn. But..... I got out to my car, and popped my trunk in hopes of creating an outline and making the liner. :cry: My trunk lid is very curved, so it isn't gonna work out for me. But, it does have a stock liner in there, so I'm going to work the stock liner and put my own stuff on it.

Oh yeah, you have one of them fancy cars with a factory liner. I think the foamboard will work for making lettering too.

Yep, thats what I have done so far!

IMG_1247.jpg

Now I'm gonna go freeze my butt off and walk to my garage to grab my spray glue, and come back here and cover them in the dark grey trunk/box carpet I have sitting around.

where'd you get the liner stuff? does it match the factory color?

I work in an install bay, so I have access to it.

Most audio shops will have it, or will know where to get it at.

It matches close enough for me.

Alright, so yesterday at work I found some free time, and carpeted it all. Right now, I don't have any pictures, but I will have some before I go to work today. IMO, it turned out great.

bump for pics. heres mine installed. those letters are painted cloissone blue (the gp blue). it uses friction fittings with matching carpet to go in. the backing is some kind of particle board and theres some kind of hard foam between the backing and the carpet. very high quality

DSCF0922.jpg

how is it fastened now?

Currently, I have panel clips holding it in. Doesn't look too bad that way, but I forgot how much sound deadener I had behind the stock liner, so I couldn't get some of the clips in near as good as I wanted.

If I'm bored tonight at work, I'll probably go ahead and add some velcro to the back of it. The stuff we have at work is strong as hell.