Failing torque converter symptoms (help!)

digitaloutsider

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my transmission problems down to my torque converter. If I hit the gas hard from a stop, the car will shudder. TC shudder. Going up hills, the car shudders. When you take your foot off the brake and you're in drive, the car BARELY moves under it's own power. My mom's L36 feels stronger off the line and moves a lot easier. If you let off the brake, it takes off pretty well on it's own, unlike mine.

I can get a torque converter for $120, and if this is the problem, I'd much rather just go ahead and change that rather than trying to source an entire tranny.

So, does this sound like TC problem to you guys?

We had one fail in our Montana, and it didn't seem to go this way. There was no shuddering until about 500 miles before it shit the bed. It still moved just fine, and didn't have the "uphill battle" as I call it. That's what leads me to believe it's the TC.

What's the fluid look like in the transaxle Shaun? Your issue does sound like the converter itself to me(from your comments on low end acceleration, that tells me you're not getting proper torque multiplication which means the converters clutch is slipping). Like Pat said though, the root cause may not be the converter itself. These transaxles have TCC solenoid issues that can lead to toasting a converter or the entire transaxle(read over on clubgp, seems it can be pretty common for certain years).

Yeah the TCC died in the Montana's 4T65 and took the entire transmission with it. It ends up killing the pump due to high heat and overall breakdown of the transmission fluid. The fluid is still red, so I want to nip this problem in the bud so to say. I think by changing the TC and TCC solenoid I might just be able to squeeze a little more longevity out of it.

I guess I can always try changing the solenoid first and seeing if that fixes anything.

see if you can rent a transmission pressure gauge. If you think it's a pressure problem it could also be the PCS. I had an issue with mine when I bought my car. But I got rid of the problem. :)