Curly dash

JPaganel

My dash pad is coming unglued. It is curling up at all the edges. I thought about gluing back down, but it looks like it is separating into layers.

Is it possible to get replacement dash pads? Is there something I can do to this one to straighten it?

Other than getting some super extra industrial strength epoxy, you can go to a local Home Depot and pick up some drywall screws, screw em in from the underside so that they catch the vinyl part, but be careful not to over-do it, otherwise you'll get a "wavy" effect.

The only place really (that I know of) to get replacement dash pads is just a boneyard.

-MaD-

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm reaching back to an August post, here.

The dash in my '89 Regal started to peel away, so I got a handful of interior screws from Pep Boys. They have that washer that keeps the screw from plowing through the vinyl, and they're short, so they don't poke too far through the other side.

I spraypainted them with maroon paint to better match the interior.

The only place this fails is on the ends of the dash, next to the doors -- not enough room to swing the electric drill (for making starter holes). I might have to hand-crank them with an awl and a short screwdriver.

This happens on almost all W-bodies. Happened on my 91 Cutlass. I removed the entire top dash pad and glued it. Spread the glue between the layers that need to be glues and then lay a towel over the area, followed by a board, clamp and leave set for awhile. Note: Make sure the glue you use will not come undone in the heat. I used this method on my car and it turned out looking like new!

Jason

It's pretty easy to do. But if you seriously want my help, get a pic of the dash so I know the extent of the damage. I'll probally be able to talk you through it. Let me know.

Jason

I drove self-tapping screws around the defroster vent opening. I have pics somewhere, it sounds crude, but came out looking perfect.

I will need to do the same thing with the convertible as its dash pad is starting to curl up around the defroster vents.

It works MUCH better if you catch it happening early. On my Cutty, the dashpad had been warped, heat shrunk, and curled up very badly for years, so screws only helped to keep the dash pad down, but it doesn't look perfect. On Penny's Cutty, I caught it in time and it looks PERFECT.