3.4 DOHC bashing

chronic139

I think there is way too much dohc bashing going on on this board. The only reason you have to talk shit is cause 3100 and 3.1's are shit. Just cause your jealous, dont try to think that any 3100 or 3.1 (n/a) can beat a 3.4 that is actually trying. There is no fucking way. I will take enforce this opinion any day of the week on 5 min. notice. Thank you.

Well, from what I have seen, mostly the guys that bash them are the guys that have or do own one, and they have a right to express what they think about them. Plus me personally would rather have a slow 3.1L that can be modded, than a DOHC, that cant be. I would much rather have a pushrod motor, that an average guy can work on, than something with more cams than you can shake a stick at, cuz the normal guy has no idea how to get one of those bad boys back in time

Robby

Hi, my name is Erik and I am a DOHC owner.

No, I drive it as a daily driver and love what it can do for me.

Yes, I ran into problems but not with the engine.

No, I will not trade in my DOHC for a pushrod at this moment.

Yes, I will trade in for a 5-speed LQ1.

No, it's not brand new, not after 11 years and 174K miles

Yes, that's the factory paint

No, I haven't blown a tranny.

Yes, I know the feeling of a dead DOHC alternator.

No, I don't understand how to time my DOHC by myself

Yes, I do understand how fast a clean running DOHC can run.

Any questions? Any laughs? Any same feelings?

- RedFox340

the DOHC is a big challenge... perfect for me... my goal is to have that thing running perfect :)

once that's done, then I'll start adding performance mods

....vroom

Guest RedCutlassSL

actually, my 3100 held 2 3.4 at bay just a few days ago. And those engines are kept in prime condition, just like my 3100. Those 2 GTPs owners are members of this board, so I'm not making this up.

I think there is way too much dohc bashing going on on this board. The only reason you have to talk shit is cause 3100 and 3.1's are shit. Just cause your jealous, dont try to think that any 3100 or 3.1 (n/a) can beat a 3.4 that is actually trying. There is no fucking way. I will take enforce this opinion any day of the week on 5 min. notice. Thank you.

OK, and I will take your word from it because you know so god damn much about these engines. And yes Ive driven one, for 300 miles round trip. I wont deny the 3.4 DOHC makes horsepower but I dont claim like it's top of the mountain, the 3500 V6 out in 2004 makes 200 horsepower with just about the exact same configuration as the 3100/3400 out now.

And if you have a problem with specific people talking shit without backing up what they say, go deal with them. That's what I do and I bet you can as well.

ok talking shit about the 3.4DOHC (more like the 3.4DONT) is because i just finally got rid of mine and i would not recamend it to anyone with a brain, yes i will give it props that when and if working right it has good HP but only after the 4K rpm line and up, if you like replacing the oil pump driver seal and the intake gaskets every other month and a 900 buck alt bill then have at it , its your money and all just NORMAL people that like to drive their car and not use them as lawn ortiments, in the 9 months of living in the dark with a 3.4L DOHC i was so misrible i ignored firends that helped me out of a monster jam and even stabed on in the back but i came to the like when i traded in and got a S-10 with a 4.3L (i still have the 90 lumina also) so if you dont like us bashing motors that are for the most part waste of space i would suggest this,,, build a bridge and get over it

Ive owned both pushrod/DOHC w bodies, and I'll have to say, as I pointed out in another thread, I miss my GTP. THat's why I was looking at that 95 GP 3.4. IMO people bash the 3.4 because they've had bad experiences. I had my share of bad luck with it, but I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

I miss the way it sounds when I was doing about 20 mph, and floored it. The trans would downshift to 1st gear, and the car would take the fizznuck off, compared to my Gutlass, where if I'm doing 20, floor it, and I have to wait until sometime next week to get to 60.

On a bright note, my Gutlass passed the longest stretch of mileage between major service on my 94 GTP the other day. 7K, and still going. :mrgreen:

I haven't read any DOHC bashing.. so I'm not sure where this all came from (haven't been on much today). But after driving the TGP for a while, the ONLY thing I miss about the DOHC, is the 6500 redline.

The DOHC is one of the most picky engines I have ever seen. The problem is that they either run perfectly or like shit, no inbetween and even the slightest thing can make it run horrible. If you hate the DOHC with all your heart then you shouldn't own one, sell it and buy another car. The people that actually like the DOHC get tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.

That's funny, I never saw any 3.4L Twin Cam bashing on this board recently. I think it would be stupid to bash anything that's W-Body related, considering we're all enthusiasts and we all come here to share knowledge and help each other out.

I don't know which would be faster or better overall, but I think the 3.4L Twin Cam had issues concerning the replacement of the battery, alternator, and such. As far as actual engine issues, I don't think there was anything wrong with it, apart from the lack of aftermarket mods available.

The 3100 is a decent engine and has decent torque and I think it just the general engine for all W-Body cars. I think it's pretty straight forward, easy to maintain and such.

Personally, I'd choose the 3800 TPI or the 3800 Series II over any other V-6 available, with the exception for the newer generation 3.5L Twin Cam.

I like having gobs of torque, even if I run out of breath at 4200RPM.

I'm not bashing anyone and I'm not taking sides, but I think we should chill out a bit.

Personally I'd take the 3.4L Twin Cam over the 3100, but that's just me. I don't see any mods available for any engine of the W-Body, with the exception of the 3800 Series II and the Supercharged 3800 Series II.

I think if you bash your own car that's fine, just as long as you don't bash another guy's car.

Well, from what I have seen, mostly the guys that bash them are the guys that have or do own one, and they have a right to express what they think about them. Plus me personally would rather have a slow 3.1L that can be modded, than a DOHC, that cant be. I would much rather have a pushrod motor, that an average guy can work on, than something with more cams than you can shake a stick at, cuz the normal guy has no idea how to get one of those bad boys back in time

Robby

Yeah, where'd the 3.4L DOHC bashing come from anyways? I haven't seen anything at all.

I haven't read any DOHC bashing.. so I'm not sure where this all came from (haven't been on much today). But after driving the TGP for a while, the ONLY thing I miss about the DOHC, is the 6500 redline.

yeah, I wasnt bashing at all, to each his own, I was just stating my opinion. And, yes there isnt much for a 3100. However, I dont have a 3100, I have a 3.1L, and there is plenty I can do to it. Thats why I like what I got. I love modding things, and you just cant mod a DOHC that much. Again, I didnt want that post to come across like I was an ass, cuz I think if its W-body related, why bash it. Again, it was just my opinion.

Robby

Oh, some of the stuff in the Race Stories *sorta* was bashing DOHC

I don't know what DOHC bashing you speak of.

I haven't really seen people say much that isn't true... well, till this thread. A 3.4 DOHC doesn't REALLY need intake gaskets and oil pump drive O-rings every other month, it's more like every 100k miles or so.

The DOHC is definitely picky. The DOHC certainly has its problems.

The DOHC is not the most DIY friendly when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

The 3.1 and 3100 may not beat a 3.4 DOHC in a race, but they will certainly beat a 3.4 DOHC in maintenance costs and frequency of maintenance. For most people, the additional 45HP of the DOHC over the 3100 just isn't worth the heartache and pain. I know if I didn't do my own work, I couldn't have afforded to keep a 3.4 DOHC car. The only people I would ever recommend a 3.4 DOHC to are enthusiasts who do their own work, and are willing to put the time into the care and feeding of the 3.4 DOHC.

what shawn said. a lifetime alternator is $100, so thats that. for life. it takes a few hours to do it after you have done it once. so you spend $100 and get your alternator replaced forever just like the guy with the 3.1 thing is, if you can't afford the labor bill, you're screwed.

if you don't beat the hell out of the trans it'll be OK the tranny behind my 3.1 lasted 100k cause the people's 16 year old kid beat the hell out of it.

the 3.4 isnt strung out at the peak of performance either, there's plenty of things to do IF you want to take the time and have a full brain to figure things out. of course you can't grab a wrecked tgp and have a turbo motor in a day(but then again what's the point of that if you are turboing your 3.1 to keep up with a stock n/a dohc?)

people call me nuts, but i put the 3.4 in my car by choice. i took out a perfect running(and doggishly slow) 3.1 and put in a 3.4. i wouldnt trade it for a tgp, gtp, or any other w-body except a 5 speed z34 with equal or less miles. i would, however, off it in a heartbeat if i needed a couple grand more to get a newer z28/formula/trans am.

with in 4 months of owning the dohc i replaced the intake gaskets at around 70K , 4 months later (even though not running it started leaking oil all over again from the same damn spot ,,, the intake gasket the gasket was put in by a GM dealership they also said that the oil pump o-ring was getting ready to go too , i had a guy walk out infront of me so insted of hitting him i took the ditch and totlaed the trans then i replaced it and the trans went again , and again another oil leak pops up so i said piss on the dohc and went to a push rod 4.3L and i have better hp and tq now

I don't know what you're talking about, there are no oil passages in the intake gasket. If anything was leaking oil, it was probably the oil pump drive O-ring. You never mentioned replacing it, so I'm not surprised you had constant oil leaks. A bad O-ring leaks a LOT.

The trans is another matter altogether, the 4T60-E isn't the most reliable tranny to begin with, but it sounds like your running into the ditch caused that problem.

I hate to tell you but those 4.3's are notoriously underpowered and slow. I know its a truck engine but its true. My friend has one in his S-10 and it sucks.

my truck might be slow but not as slow as the 3.4 DOHC was/is yes i have 180hp but i have 245tq and ill tell you what the 3.4dohc has 210/215 hp at the crank at the wheels its more like 180-170 this has been proven to me and to a few over at the mymonte board just ask around people driving the 3.4dohc have really big heads to what is on the paper in front of them however ask them to race and they will back down, my truck has the 180 going to the ground and the tq to prove it

granted its under powered but let me ask you this, whats the aftermarket look like for it????? there is a ton of stuff out there for it! modder heaven

last laugh

This is nice- a thread about not bashing the 3.4, yet bashes the 3.1 and the tried and true 4.3. And this proves something, really. Take it elsewhere. If someone runs their mouth on another thread, then take em out civally over there.