upgrade the OBD 1.5 connector to an OBD 2 connector. can it be done?

Crazy K

my thought before, and again... is that you could splice the wires from a salvaged OBD2 car's connector into the wires from an obd 1.5 Data Link Connector(spliced in parrallel, so as to both availible), and be able to read the codes with a OBD 2 computer reader anywhere. Part of the reason for me wondering if this is possible is that a few times I have looked into it I have been told that an adapter was needed to link their diagnotic computer to the DLC

94 CS OBD 1.5 DLC pinout (12 pin connector)

M L K J H G

A B C D E F

A BLK ground

J DK GRN entertainment and comfort serial data

K PPL Diagnotic request to diagnostic energy reserve module

M TAN serial data input/output

OBD2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

2 PPL

4 BLK (Chassis) Ground

5 BLK (pcm?) Ground

9 TAN Baud Data

16 ORN power source, 12+volts

(Note 4,5=Ground 16=Battery+ are standard pins for the OBD-II standard

thoughts and comments?

In theory, yes you could. I know when people swap (say the l67 into a 92 3.1 beretta), they have a wiring mess to deal with, mainly because they don't have the appropriate firewall connector. It will mainly consist of matching the obd1 wires to the appropriate obd2 pin.

let me resate the idea for clarity... since I am suprosed at the low amount of response.

I would still be operating with the obd1.5 as stock, with the obd2 connector wired in.

any further feedback?

I hope to hit a j/y in the next week and snag an OBD 2 connector from a GM car.

• 9 months later...

I understand this is an old question but instead of repeating whats going on here I'd like to keep it going.

Will an OBD2 reader pick up OBD1.5 codes? Is the 1.5 setup a 2.X setup wired on a 12 pin setting?

If you rewire the connector will it confuse the reader instead and cause it to not understand the information it is reading?

It would make code pulling easier if it could be done. fortunately, I now have a location where I can scan an OBD1.5.

I would simply have both the proper obd 1.5 and ghetto obd II connector present so I could use whatever i find assuming the idea works.

I still do not know the answer. I will have to try it myself! hmmm

It would make code pulling easier if it could be done. fortunately, I now have a location where I can scan an OBD1.5.

A national chain, perhaps?

i found an AZ in Cleveland, and one on the far south side of Indy which has the correct universal scanner to use. Most of them only have the OBD 2 scanner.

IF any of you have a laptop available, buy an appropriate cable and use the tunerpro definition file that Ryan(search here!) wrote for "OBD 1.5" to scan your car for codes, etc. :wink:

IF any of you have a laptop available, buy an appropriate cable and use the tunerpro definition file that Ryan(search here!) wrote for "OBD 1.5" to scan your car for codes, etc. :wink:

I have an OBD 1 cord that i tried in two different obd 1.5 cars. the only thing that works is the tach, everything else has false readings. It is a datamaster cable, do you think it can be used with the tunerpor thing you mentioned?

Ken, I would imagine that it would work. TGPilot on the board would probably know for sure. Tunerpro is free to download & use, so it wouldn't take you long to try it out. Download the "RT" version of tunerpro.