Any Auto Body Pros? (long post)

DEMonte1997

So my car got scratched last weekend.. (it's so hard to keep it in good condition.. it's always something :( ) The scratch is small-about 3 inches long and very thin. The problem is that it's on my back fender.. on the bumper part right after my rear wheel well. I tried compounding the scratch out and I've gotten it as far as I can w/out going through the clearcoat (it looks like the scratch goes all the way through the basecoat).

Since I'm not trained in the ways of auto body, I decided to have some pros check it out today and give me estimates for what they can do. Well.. most of them said they would have to refinish the whole entire bumper piece to make sure that no lines showed up from their work. (since it's made of rubber?) That would cost BIG $$. One guy said he could do just the area around the scratch and that it would be perfect when he's done. Price? $200..

This is a small scratch and I know it will need painting.. Is $200 a good price? I'm in VT and don't know if prices here might be more than they should be.

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide. :)

I have worked in a body shop a little and if he paints just a piece of it you will see a difference where it was painted even no matter what he does. Thats why if you really want it done so you wont see any difference its best that you get the whole thing repainted or if you want to save some moeny just live with it.

In may i bought myself a brand new silver Mustang GT 2 days after that somebody hit me on a side leaving a little scratch on it and on the parking lot somebody hit me with a door. Little scratch would cost me 500$ to reapaint it if i had to give it to somebody but its so small i just leave it the way it is. You cant run away from scrach on your car, it will happen sooner or later.

Apply a THIN layer of touchup paint. Use an index card, toothpick, whatever, to get the paint in the scratch ONLY...if you were to use a brush, paint would get on the good part and blob up...or if you're REALLY careful, do what I did and blob it on, then remove the excess (wait like 5 minutes) with a razor blade. It worked for me in that I got the paint inside the scratch level with the rest of the paint (this scratch was down to metal, and UGLY) I wouldnt notice it if the paint hadnt turned yellow...dammit!

hmmm.. I wonder if the guy that offered the $200 price was going to just try to airbrush it then.. He initially said that he would be doing the whole painting/sanding process to it (that's why it would cost so much-letting the paint cure and having to make sure there were no lines..). I'll go ahead and call him today to confirm on what his actual process will be.

I really appreciate all your help thus far. Any more comments are welcomed!

Thanks!

hmmm.. I wonder if the guy that offered the $200 price was going to just try to airbrush it then.. He initially said that he would be doing the whole painting/sanding process to it (that's why it would cost so much-letting the paint cure and having to make sure there were no lines..). I'll go ahead and call him today to confirm on what his actual process will be.

I really appreciate all your help thus far. Any more comments are welcomed!

Thanks!

ask him if he knows any place that will airbrush if he doesn't. if he said he will do the hole thing then he probibly will. airbrushing is not $200 from what i am told.

RedZ

The local Olds dealer set me up with a guy that went over my whole car and airbrushed what needed it for $35, so I would think he is doing more for $200.

Jason

So I just spoke to my "$200 fix it guy" and he was caught off guard. I think he really wanted to see if you could slip this right on by me. haha He was very adament about having it done "his way". He kept saying he was giving me a deal... I told him to blow amnesty up his ass and that I would shop around b/c I thought the repair could be done at $50 AT THE MOST. geez

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I'll call up the local Chevy dealer here and get them to airbrush it. Hopefully that'll work.

Good for you man, those fuckers always make people who want a nice looking car for not crazy amounts of dolars, scared to do anything. I really dislike this cause then you see cars with "accident marks" driving on the street and they look like shit when they could be looking decent.

Woooooo!! Vented it all out, BTW IT'z my Birthday!! 21!!! Yeah just though i would throw that in!! :lol: