Cutty Ragtop Sunvisor Recovering

DOHCRagtopguy

My Cutlass Ragtop's sunvisors are beat on top where they contact with the roof when it's up. All torn up and shit like that. I have a spare set and was wondering how hard it would be to strip them apart and recover them with gray leather like the car's interior. I feel that the leather would hold up much better than the shitty fabric they came from the factory with.

Any other Cutty Ragtop owners out there have any insight on this subject?

replacement is easiest.

I did recover them in my 95 sedan, but that because I did the ceiling in the same shot and I wanted them to match.

recovering them with leather would be insane. They are made of headliner material, and it is stetched on, in a way you can't stretch leather.

I see your point about being hard to sew. I thought that leather would look hip. I guess I'll just look for a decent used set from another W-body then. I'm tired of looking at these ratty ones, ya know?

Thanks for everyone's input.

I see your point about being hard to sew. I thought that leather would look hip. I guess I'll just look for a decent used set from another W-body then. I'm tired of looking at these ratty ones, ya know?

i'm sure a reholstering shop can do it....for a price too

Don't give up so easily!

Anyway, they come apart easily enough. If I recall correctly, they can be unsnapped and opened up. The mirror can be removed. If leather is too thick, you can always use vinyl or pleather. You would just open them up (I think they are hinged in the middle), stretch the material over the edges, then fold and snap it together. I think I have one taken apart I can get pics of.

You should be able to have an upholstery shop recover them in the material of your choice.....I need to get a new set for my Spyder because they have faded from black to grey over the past few years

yeah I recovered my old visors in my old car when I did the headliner with a plush-like fabric. Just like Shawn said it snapped apart, and I was able to lock the new fabric in and it stayed. I even did the storage pockets like you'd see in a GP

DSvisor-close.jpg

IM000242.jpg

/\ I just pulled some off of a GP and replaced them at kens a week or two ago. they work just fine. I'm not a huge fan of the storage pockets, but those were the only ones I could find with the lighted mirror in graphite.

a tutrial on haow to reholster your sunvisors coming up... in two weeks. I'm reupholstering Psychomatts in balck for my 91 vert.

But I lack a place to host, so I hope somone will volunteer. How about the main W page shawn? (host the pics too?)

a tutrial on haow to reholster your sunvisors coming up... in two weeks. I'm reupholstering Psychomatts in balck for my 91 vert.

That will be very helpful, I'll be looking for it. Maybe I could use graphite-colored vinyl to do mine with.

Groovy.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine are getting recovered when my seats get done. My buddy that does my interior stuff said he can do them and make them look badass. Hopefully I will get my interior to him someday so it can all be done. If you could find a set to replace that would work, if not, ask an interior person.

Sean

hey time to ask a question related to this.

the 1991 vert I looked at in a yard in NY has cardbord/fiberboard based visors and not the plastic ones that I have observed on all other W's they were toast.. but I wonder now if they may actual be vert only? I will have to look at a few 91 and down regular cars to be sure on my next trip to a j/y...

But no fear.. assuming you are not going for originality, a plastic visor fits and works

My 88 and 89 Cutlasses had a cardboard one on the driver side. Not sure what the passenger side was. They had stitching along the outside. Is that similar to what you saw on that vert?

My 88 and 89 Cutlasses had a cardboard one on the driver side. Not sure what the passenger side was. They had stitching along the outside. Is that similar to what you saw on that vert?

exactly identical.

i wonder what year they changed??????

I need to look at my 91 vert and see what it has..

my 93 vert has plastic type replacment visors already...

now this is just CS we are talking about...

iirc my 91 and 92 lumina had the plastic ones.

going to parts galore on tuesday.. gonna check this out in all W models!@

I have no idea what year they changed, but I'm confident you'll find out. :)

The flaps of the cardboard ones on both the 88 and 89 went limp. The visor on the 88 actually even tore from its hinge internally. I replaced the ones on the 88 with Grand Prix plastic ones and on the 89 I found some perfectly matching Regal ones with lighted mirrors on both sides and that extra sliding piece. I really like the Regal ones, they are nice and fat. The thicker visor just has a more quality feel. The cardboard one on the driver side was real thin. I seem to remember they also have that silly elastic loop that lost its elastic and was way too big, loose, and floppy.

• 2 months later...

But I lack a place to host, so I hope somone will volunteer. How about the main W page shawn? (host the pics too?)

Anything yet? I need to fix the ones I got from a 96 GP in graphite.

Anything yet? I need to fix the ones I got from a 96 GP in graphite.

DOH! forgot to do this. I haven't been home since I wrote that!