No Fuel Injector pulse

embalmer41

I'm not getting a fuel injector pulse for the injectors. I used a noid light on the injector harness and no pulse. I thought it might the ECM driver and the ECM in the vehicle is brand new. So i tried another ECM from the same type of car and the same service number and still nothing. I installed the new ECM back and and did a computer scan and i got a code 12 from both ECM's. Checked all the fuses and they all checked out fine. I have 42 psi at the fuel rail. Any ideas where else to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

2.8L engine

V6

The ECM doesn't know when to fire the injectors if it doesn't know if the crank is turning......crank sensor maybe?

Do you have spark?

Yes i have spark and i had the ICM checked and it was fine. Brand new ICM.

Check the resistence of the injectors. I just had a problem with mine. It should read 12.5- 16 ohms. If they are 12 and under, they are on there way out.

To do the procedure you will need to remove the upper intake manifold. That will result in a new gaskets. You will have to remove the hoses and everything in the back as well as the throttle body and the egr valve. Its a pain but is well worth it. Check alldata for additional directions and torque specs. You can also use http://www.autozone.com 's alldata which is free for help.

Check the resistence of the injectors. I just had a problem with mine. It should read 12.5- 16 ohms. If they are 12 and under, they are on there way out.

To do the procedure you will need to remove the upper intake manifold. That will result in a new gaskets. You will have to remove the hoses and everything in the back as well as the throttle body and the egr valve. Its a pain but is well worth it. Check alldata for additional directions and torque specs. You can also use http://www.autozone.com 's alldata which is free for help.

I tested the injector resistance and i get 12.5 on all 6 injectors. So the injectors test ok.

ok well then check all your wiring to those injectors. Do a condinuity check on it. It could be a broken or shorted out wire. I believe all the wiring is interconnected in a series circuit per odd and even side of the engine.

12.5 ohms means that the life on the injectors is winding down. Also the injectors must be within 10 % of the highest ohm. If you have 80k + miles on them they should be considered a major tune up as they will cause problems in the future.

I would check the wiring and the crank position sensor as well. Check the injectors first since you got the engine all apart anyway.

I believe the problem lays somewhere along these lines.

ok well then check all your wiring to those injectors. Do a condinuity check on it. It could be a broken or shorted out wire. I believe all the wiring is interconnected in a series circuit per odd and even side of the engine.

12.5 ohms means that the life on the injectors is winding down. Also the injectors must be within 10 % of the highest ohm. If you have 80k + miles on them they should be considered a major tune up as they will cause problems in the future.

I would check the wiring and the crank position sensor as well. Check the injectors first since you got the engine all apart anyway.

I believe the problem lays somewhere along these lines.

I have a subscription with alldata and i checked what the min and max resistance should be and it was between 11.60-12.60 and the crank sensor was the first thing i checked. It's brand new and checks out fine.

Did you check to see if your getting fuel to the rails? There should be a little bleeder valve you can check at.

I don't know if you have one or not, but pick up a fuel pressure guage from your local parts store. I bought one a while back(and it was stolen when I moved :evil:) from Murray's I believe that was pretty decent($40-ish).

That, and check your fuel pressure regulator.