What is YOUR Oil Pressure at idle??

gmrulz4u

I have an 89 Supreme with a 2.8L engine. It has 120,000 Miles, 190,000 KM, and a lot of the time, when I'm at a stop, the Oil Pressure is only at 3 bars(on my digital cluster dash), which is only one bar above the "red area"...is this normal?

What is all of your Oil Pressure's at?

does it go up when your not Idleing?? it should be 3+ bars above the Red when at normal engine speeds 2500rpms. if its alittle lower change from 5-30 to 10-30 or Try some engine Restore sold at any gas stations. or Auto parts stores its in a silver can and Premesured for 4-6-8 cyl

I know my car with 134,000 I have 40psi at 2,000 rpms and about 60 at 3,000rpms

so it sounds like that famous GM guage set.

you know the one that gives the Idea of what it is and not really what its at.

Looks like we have the same car, my oil gage reads 3 bars at idle after it is hot, don't worry about this, if your oil goes below that or is very messed up, change the sending unit, they are fairly cheap and easy to replace, but i doubt you need it to be done, but im sure it will fail sooner of later. Everything should seem normal, even when i top off my oil level, i still get 3 bars, No worries BRO

Pabz

I have a a dash from a 94 CS in my 88 CS so its no longer digital but my oil pressure on my 2.8 is always little over a red line when idle. It was always like that even when the car had lower miles and now i have 191k, so i would say its normal unless it doesnt go up when you drive.

My 88 2.8 Cutlass would go into LOW on the gauge at idle in gear when I got it. Replaced sending unit, it stays a few bars above the low range now.

If replacing sending unit make sure to get one for gauge, not the sending switch for use with idiot lights. Starter solenoid terminals very close to sending unit, disconnect battery to avoid risk of faceful of fireworks. Had to use two different size sockets, a big one for the original and smaller one for the replacement.

I just bought the $5 universal socket :) it worked miracles for me...

....although, I didn't think to disconnect the battery before removing the old, stale, oil pressure switch, and I actually got the fireworks!

Oh, and get this, I took a small bathroom break before I put in the sending unit and when I came back out to the garage, and tried to install the sending unit, I realized I still didn't disconnect the battery! ....until it was too late....again, fireworks in my face!

Stupid me!

I just wanted to kill someone that day! dark3.gif

It was wack! Oh well, live and learn!

-MaD-

your oil pressure should go up and down with the revs. Its completely normal. I have a 3.4 dohc and it does the same thing. Dont worry about it unless it starts to go even lower, or doesnt go up with the engine.