95 cutlass convertible cylinder rod eye

bigdaddyooo

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster (i think, lol). The other day while I was raising my top, I heard a "pop" and everything slowed down. I was like "shit", wtf was that :eek:. I just got to take a peek to see what happened and what I found was that the drivers side cylinder rod eye bushing broke in half leaving the eye still on the frame but the cylinder flopping in the breeze :cry:. Its a brass colored eye that spins on the top of the piston lift rod and fixes to the frame of the car. Are these available aftermarket or do I have to buy a whole cylinder ass'y? That would suck cause those things are about $130.00. Got to love GM with thier pot metal parts :evil:..... bastards :evil:..... Anyways, any help would be greatly appeciated. Mark.

Is it just me, or are any convertible top parts getting hard to find these days? I would say that if you can fix your top back to new condition for 130.00, do it.

I just got my 'vert 6 months ago and I've already put in $2300 (canadian).

I would really like to open the top up and recondition everything before it breaks but maybe when the bank account is feeling a lil more flush.

Good luck getting this fixed up, post your progress.

I have a brokenone too, that i salvaged with spare parts for my vert. tough luck but you may have to pay to get one.

btw, you might compare it to the ones in cavaliers or older lebaron convertables. it may be the same, as i think it is made by someone besides GM.

There was a guy in another thread that sourced an aftermarket one. This was probably 2yrs ago or so. I tried searching for it, but came up with nothing.

I guess they are called "rod ends". When I search for that on Google, I find lots of things that fit that description. Here's an example of one site I found:

http://www.rbcbearings.com/rodends/hf.htm

Guys, thank you for the responses. After looking at the broken piece, I noticed that there were maybe 10 threads left so I figured wtf, I 'll try it with some lock-tite applied. SOB, it works. I dont know how long it will hold but I very much appreciate everyones help. Mark

PS does any have a parts guide and/or service guide in PDF or DOC form for the convertible top itself?

Crazy, it's already back in the vehicle..... It's a brass colored eyelet with a white bushing in the middle of the hole and it had about an inch long threaded hole to where the rod spun onto it. Mine broke about half way up the threads, so I actually could get enough back onto the rod and use some loctite to solidify it. Seems to be doing well. Im hoping it will hold while Im trying to locate some replacements.

• 4 years later...