How much to replace an oil pan gasket?

96GranSport

Just a quick question for you all. I need to have the oil pan gasket replaced (96 Gran Sport) and I was wondering how much this should cost. I live in the Vegas area and was quoted $670 at a dealership (with a lube, oil, & filter) and I thought this was rather high. I know that there is a bit of labor involved because of the front-wheel drive but it still seems a bit expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

I did it on my 90 GS. It isn't hard at all all you do is take out the bolts and drop the pan. The gasket was kinda expensive. I think it was around $45 and comes with the tube gasket too. Make sure it's not the oil cooler lines that are leaking first. My pan and Line were both leaking on mine.

I did it on my 90 GS. It isn't hard at all all you do is take out the bolts and drop the pan. The gasket was kinda expensive. I think it was around $45 and comes with the tube gasket too. Make sure it's not the oil cooler lines that are leaking first. My pan and Line were both leaking on mine.

That was what I thought but I have been told that there are support braces that get in the way, which is why it takes so much labor. I know with a rear-wheel drive vehicle, changing the oil pan gasket is pretty simple but I've never had to do one on a FWD vehicle. The gasket costs about $55 dollars so the rest is supposed to be labor...and that lube, oil, and filter which I can't get around since all the oil will be drained out when the gasket is changed. Still way too much. I figured around $250 or so...but $670?

$55 for the gasket?!?! I can get it for $28 bucks walk in customer. If you brought it to a good shop, shouldnt charge more than $150-$200 to do it. The shop should be able to do it within 1.5 hours.

$55 for the gasket?!?! I can get it for $28 bucks walk in customer. If you brought it to a good shop, shouldnt charge more than $150-$200 to do it. The shop should be able to do it within 1.5 hours.

LOL...that's what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be doing some more pricing this weekend to see what other places are charging. Hell, with what they are pricing, it would take them about 5 to 5 1/2 hours to change out the gasket. I could practically get the engine rebuilt in that amount of time. Well, not exactly but...thanks again. :)

You can get a good gasket for a 3800 for that? Where?

The A/C lines might be in the way I'm not sure. I ripped the A/C out of my GS.

wtf. Is it that easy with the 3800. I Just attempted to do mine in the lumina and i never got it out. i had the cradle unbolted some, and the motor lifted, motor mount colar off, and lower motor mount out. Still couldn't get the right combination so i said fuck it and fed the gasket in. I wanted to get it out, but not that bad.

Nick