HOW TO: remove tranny without droping whole subframe

kuntzie

FAQ section maybe????? can put up instaalling instruttions too, but real easy one youve gotten it out

1st off... i most likely missed alot of steps, and ill will add as questions are answered, ect ect ect...... and check my spelling later too

IT IS possible to remove your transmission without removing the subframe

Alright, since i recently replaced took the Transmission out of my car, ill explain what i did. (getrag 284 transmission)

NOTE this was with a 5-speed transmission, and i DID NOT have to drop the whole Subframe

1. I started off by Removing the battery from the car/ and removed the drive side brace (felt it was easiest that way) and i removed the hood off the car for more room

2. I took all the lines off the turbo, and then used a 13mm (or 1/2") rachet wrench to remove the bolts from the downpipe (5 of them) and then the 4 on the x-over pipe.
the turbo has to be removed to acess the transmission bolts.

3. i then took off my x-over because i decided to header wrap it up real nice to keep the engine cool everything else is already done so it was planned

4. jacked up the front of the car on the subframe and used an impact to remove the front tires

5. put jackstands (3) on the frame of the car (not the subframe on the driver side)

6. removed the brake calipier from the driver side front rotor. and tied it to the hood hinge

7. (driver side) removed/ seperated the ball joint from the control arm, and then remove the strut from the car by taking the 3 strut bolts off (1/2") from the strut tower

8. Drained the transmission fluid

9. unpluged all sensors ect on the transmission, and removed the shifter cables from the bracket.

10. put a jack stand under the tranny, left 1 bolt in the tranny slightly loosened and removed all the rest (18mm)

11. removed dogbones from the top of the engine, leaving them on the dogbone mounts

12. went back underneath and removed the bushings from the driver side., had it jacked right the control arm on the subframe

13. slowly lowered the jack and the engine and tranny went on a nice angle.

14. removed 4 bolts off the tranny mount

15. removed that last bolt on the tranny

16. pulled and pulled until the tranny finally break loose from the engine

17. slid the tranny out the wheelwell.

• 2 years later...

I know this topic is old as hell, but on step 12, when you say you removed the bushings, what bushings are you talking about, the subframe?

If so did u loosen the passenger's side a tad and take the drivers side out?

I have the tranny ready to come out now, I am assuming you are talking about lowering the drivers side of the subframe.

• 7 years later...

I'm going to be doing this in my driveway this weekend - I edited the post for a little bit of clarity as the forum redesign completely fucked the formatting and everything was all jumbled. I'm sure I'll encounter some outlying steps but I'll need this kind of thing to keep myself on some semblance of a procedure. If anyone has anything to add, please post.

Going this far it makes more sense to me to take everything out the top instead in most cases.

It's a good opportunity to do main seals and either replace or re-torque the engine oil pan gasket too.

It makes no sense to pull the engine out of the top, that is significantly more work.  Chris and I have done a 284 exchange in the car with just dropping down the subframe in a matter of a few hours.

You don't need to remove the steering shaft, you need to remove the pinch bolt.

It makes no sense to pull the engine out of the top, that is significantly more work.  Chris and I have done a 284 exchange in the car with just dropping down the subframe in a matter of a few hours.

You don't need to remove the steering shaft, you need to remove the pinch bolt.

Yeah, you guys are pretty much going to be on speed dial this weekend. :lol: I'll plan on removing the pinch bolt.

This will give me a little practice in case I ever need to drop the subframe on my 04 to replace sensors in the trans pan.