My official project thread. *8/6/06 TEASER PIC!!

z34_nut

Mostly because I have been starting a bunch of threads lately regarding my Z34 and future modifications, I have decided to make myself a general project build thread. I placed this in the general section because it will surely cover all aspects of the general w-body forum.

One of the first modifications I have looked into is AutoMeter gauges.

This coming week, the orders will be placed for gauges. After I am done doing this write up I am going outside to make some measurements, and make a quick print of gauge lay-out. I have a simple, and hopefully effective idea. Get a layer of plexiglass, cut it for the gauges. Set the gauges in the plexiglass, and then have a second layer of brushed aluminum behind it. Light up plexiglass with red LEDs and enjoy...

My second step is to convert the apperence. I have already ordered meterials for this job.

First step:

Flat black like on 4th Gen Camaro's, and nightshade (nightshade is backordered, will ship on the 19th)

primer.jpg

Then eventually get updated logo's and remove the ones from the trunk.

After that stuff, and I get a little more settled in out here, the 5-speed tranny is going in the trash, or a good buyer, (bad syncro) and a 6-speed will replace it. Thanks to Brian for the list of parts (I will post the link later so any-one else interested can also browse).

Also A turbo project is still in store. I don't have the power to do it myself, but I have good help, and hopefully I can get that done by winter.

So keep up on this thread for updates, I figure I'll post a date at the top with progress, write ups, and pictures.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• z34_nut

• slick

• Euro

• runt

Top Posters In This Topic

First: That is a SEXY car. God I'm jealous!

Second: Fuck you, you don't have "winter" you have "in the 50's" for a couple weeks! :lol:

But really...good luck with your project!

Do you plan on putting the 6 speed with the DOHC or engine swap?

But really...good luck with your project!

Do you plan on putting the 6 speed with the DOHC or engine swap?

Thanks, I will prolly need it.

DOHC will stay. Turbo is in the plans, but is on that backburner. I was really adiment on getting the equipment, but then decided to slow down, and save the best for last.

Tranny Details for swap: Credit to Brian.

http://www.bcaudio.com/6spd/6spd.html

As for the gauges, white face, or black face?

And does any-one know a good source for plexiglass, or brushed aluminum panels?

They sell plexiglass at Home Depot as well. I don't know if you have ever cut it before, but be careful. In fact, if I were you, I would pick up a few sheets of it. It isn't exactly the easiest to work with.

For the autometer gauges, I was either going with ProComp (black face) or Phantom (White face). All the gauges are going to be replaced in the car, so none will be left with a black face.

As for I've used it as a median many times for art. My trick is going to be cutting many holes with small clearences. I do plan on buying a fairly large sized sheet, because it will crack and break. Chris, do you know the best tools for cutting plexiglass?

I also was thinking about spraying my nightshade on the plexiglass. This is where white face accually might make a nice contrast.

As far as hooking up the Speedo, does any-one know exactly how to go about this? I want to purchase a 160mph speedo, but how can I make it accurate? I don't have experience putting in aftermarket gauges like this.

Well, all of the gauges in our vehicle are electronic. So, it should be as simple as matching wires from the vehicles harness to the appropriate wire for the guage.

As for cutting the plexiglass, it really depends what shapes you will need. If it is a straight surface, they sell plexiglass knives at Home Depot as well. Basically, you make a few run in the plexiglass with the knive, but the cut at an edge, and karate chop off the rest. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's how its done. If you are cutting curves, your going to want a really fine blade, probably one you would use for cutting metal. If doing by hand, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! You could probably use a jigsaw, but I would be worried by the vibration, so again, you would really have to make sure your plexiglass is secure. If cutting holes, a hole saw should do. Again though, look for a fine toothed saw.

Well I plan on taping the reverse side to help hold it togeather, and absorb some of the impact. I'll figure out the hole sizes I will be needing, then mabey the guys at home depot can help me fine a good saw for plexiglass.

If your going to be doing that much, go with the Phantom gauges. Even hitting the plexi with some Nightshades would look really good.

You would probably try a Jigsaw for the Plexi, but like slick said the viberation might be a bit too much. Sharp blades are your best bet. It might be kinda tough to cut or saw round holes into the plexi with a drill or other tool. I'd be very afraid of it cracking or breaking. I've never plexiglassed a day in my life, but it reminds me of the old Lexan bodies that I used to use on my old R/C cars, and I got good at working them...so yeah....

Lexan is a little more forgiving then plexiglass. Plexiglass is brittle and you can break it in half with your hands. It doesn't bend like Lexan does.

Thanks for the help thus far. I also need to figure out a way to intigrate my dummy lights, but I figure that will not be a difficult task.

Dummy lights...you might condsider using the stock bulbs, but maybe having some type of sticker made and just have the light shone through it. Well...something a bit better than that...I guess in my mind I have an idea but doesn't sound right hitting the keyboard...lol

For your dummy lights, I would make some sort of see through that has an image showing what is wrong. Put an LED(with a resistor) in line, and put that with the stock wiring.

I don't think this will be a simple project.

I don't think its gonna be simple either. It was never intended to be. I just hope it looks good when I'm done.

As for the dummy lights, I might just use the factory bulbs. I might even cut the aluminum at the bottom and use the factory panel.

i'm interested to see the berger panel mod on your car.

as for the people that don't know what it is:

rearnoflash.jpg

stock on the left

berger panel mod on the right

it helps a ton if you put plexi between two sheets of wood when cutting curves.

and i assume you'll just be using a hole saw to cut the holes for the gauges? if so, the wood would also be a good way to keep the plexi from cracking while you are drilling.

it helps a ton if you put plexi between two sheets of wood when cutting curves.

and i assume you'll just be using a hole saw to cut the holes for the gauges? if so, the wood would also be a good way to keep the plexi from cracking while you are drilling.

thanks a bunch for that tip :thumb:

Oye, so I get a few things, but I can't finish them w/o the others.

I just got a card today in the mail from summit saying that the nightshade has been pushed back to 7/01/06....sheesh, your only two weeks off what you quoted me in the first place.

I ordered a big sheet of 1/8th inch plexiglass last night

I bought primer, and flat black paint today to do my trim.

I also bought sealent for my headlight housings because I plan on spraying the flat spots with nightshade to tint them. I forgot to look for plastic reconditioning.

Autometer order will go out on friday.