Turbo Size Question

Tru2Chevy

I have a line on someone who may have a few turbos lying around that he'd sell cheap. For the price, I'm thinking of picking one up in case I decide to do a turbo project.

t04e stage 3, .63 ar hot side, t3 hotside, t4 coldside t04e stage 3 57 trim .50 ar - Brand new.

How would something like that work on a 3.1?

- Justin

I see you needing a custom chip right off the bat.

you have to of course make it a turbo engine first of all. Which is going to be a HUGE pain in the butt, especially now that parts are getting even more scarce. I'm sure you can dig up all sorts of info using search if you haven't already.

You'll have to have custom flanges made to mount to those turbos. People have been talking about using the t3 for a long time now, but I don't know of anyone who has been successful, there just isn't enough room.

Size wise, I'm not honestly sure, you will need bigger injectors, maybe a new fuel pump?

Good Luck,

Mitch

Thanks for the input guys. I'm waiting to hear back from someone else with specs for a t3/t4 that someone else I know has. I'll let you know when I hear from him.

Would the turbo I posted above be good for a 3.4 car, or would that still be too big? I'm just getting into the whole turbo idea, so I'm still not sure exactly what to look for.

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan

it would definately be better for a 3.4 DOHC than a 3.1. i would imagine it would be pretty laggy. like Matt said - that turbo is a bit big for a 3.1. i would rather use something like a .63 A/R stage-2 T3 turbine with a T04E 50-trim compressor for a 3.1.

Curtis Walker posted a thread awhile back about his friend's 3.1 Turbo Cavalier wagon. that had a T3/T04E but it had a .48 A/R stage-2 T3 turbine with a T04E 46-trim compressor. i think it made 229whp at 6psi.

any way to turbocharge the 3100 in my 97 cutty..or am i a lost cause

No. Unless you want more custom work that your car is prolly worth.

LOL...we finally have the parts to throw a 3800SII into the front of the 442 so the 3100 will be used for primary fabrication of the twin turbo setup we will be installing into Al's wifes 01 GAGT 3400, of course she doesnt like her ABS so we wil be able to delete it...

the only reason it's getting done is because we have the tools to do all the work ourselves along with a seperate mockup engine...comes in handy :smile:

Wow. You guys really like small turbos!

I would NEVER use a single 0.48 a/r T3 turbine housing on anything larger than a 1.8L engine...

The 0.63 a/r stage 3 T3 turbine side should work just fine for the 3.1

The 57 trim T04E compressor is too small for a DOHC IMO (it would work, but I prefer larger sizes), but should work really well for a 3.1

Tim

any way to turbocharge the 3100 in my 97 cutty..or am i a lost cause

No. Unless you want more custom work that your car is prolly worth.

LOL...we finally have the parts to throw a 3800SII into the front of the 442 so the 3100 will be used for primary fabrication of the twin turbo setup we will be installing into Al's wifes 01 GAGT 3400, of course she doesnt like her ABS so we wil be able to delete it...

the only reason it's getting done is because we have the tools to do all the work ourselves along with a seperate mockup engine...comes in handy :smile:

Nice! Pics are needed for this!