Electrically knowledgeable people, help me out. Current drain.

JPaganel

I haven't been around here awhile. My W-body sat in the garage, dented and neglected. :bawling1:

Today it is dusted off and I'm back to trying to fix it, and here are a couple of questions.

I have an electrical drain in my 90 Cutlass. In cold weather the battery drains overnight.

I hooked an ammeter between the battery and the + lead. Totally at rest, with the alarm off, the meter registered 0.3A. I started pulling fuses and when I yanked the #2 fuse from the inside panel the current dropped to 0.03A. #2 fuse is listed as being for radio memory and trip odometer.

So, will 0.3A drain the battery overnight? Will 0.03A do that or is that normal for ECM power?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have the same problem with battery draining overnight on my 1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Traced the problem on the circuit for the remote receiver which is located on the rear speakers. I thought my remote receiver is bad because if I remove it then the battery will not drain overnight. I put a used remote receiver and the same problem came back which just drains the battery. So, I just disconnected the remote receiver and it's PITA to trace the wires for possible grounding or other electrical components.

Same here. Figured out my current drain was coming from that dang receiver as well. I found out when I tried to fix those cracked soldering connections. My keyless entry still don't work though.