MaD

Anyways, so, I was at Murray's last night and I started browsing the exhaust aisle. I became intrigued by the mufflers that they had there. (I didn't know mufflers were so cheap!, I was under the assumption they'd be around $200, don't ask why... (midas)...)

So anyways, There was some no-name brand for like $20 and a couple of Dynomax ones (I suppose I've heard good things about them). I saw the Dynomax "Super Turbo" muffler, as well as their "Ultraflo welded" something or other. Now, The "super turbo" was roughly $40 and the other one was $60. Initially, I assumed the more expensive one would be the better one, but then I started reading the back of the box with all the flow-rates and I started to wonder if the UltraFlo's 1,440cfm flow-rate was indeed something I'm looking for....

After all, that's seems a bit excessive..

The Super Turbo, on the other hand, was flowing somewhere around 350cfm (That seems a little low). When I looked at the design, I could see why it was such a drastic difference. The innards looked like a "z" , while the Ultraflo's was simply a straight pipe with holes going through some fiberglass.

Then, I started to realize, "I really don't know what all these numbers mean".

So here I am.

Ok, well, I know that to gain performance, you must lose some back-pressure, but if you lose TOO much back-pressure, performance suffers and if I remember correctly, this is bad for the engine. (Any truth to this?)

Well anyways, the part that I'm stuck at is the "cut-off" point. I don't know exactly when perforrmance starts to degrade.

Basically, I want to squeeze out as much perfomance as I can by putting a new muffler on. (My car is slow enough as it is)

Oh, I don't care about sound at all, so if losing backpressure makes the car loud as hell, so be it.

Ok, now, for what I already have. (I don't even know if this makes a difference)

I have pretty much stock everything. Stock cat, stock 2 1/4 piping (it IS 2 1/4, right?) , etc.

I do have a warm-air intake (It's a K&N cone filter) So that's great in getting the air IN, but it needs to leave too. I also have a FDP chip (not sure if that matters)... Oh, and I don't have head work or anything like that done. So pretty much bone stock.

I AM looking to buy a 2.5in catco high-flow converter (or ANY high-flow converter) one of these days. And if I can find a nice, cheap place, I might go with a custom 2.5in catback.

But for now, I just wanna put in a muffler.

I DO wanna get that Ultraflo (which is 2.5in in/out), but again, I'm not sure if that would make me lose too much back-pressure/performance.

Also, if it's NOT too much, if I ever get the 2.5inch complete exhaust, will it be too much then?

Gah, sorry if this is hard to decipher. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

One last thing, there shouldn't be a problem welding the 2.5in muffler to my existing 2 1/4in piping, right? they can just use a reducer or something, right?

Thanks, and sorry this is such a long post.

-MaD-

Guest Anonymous

With a turbo, you don't need any backpressure. The turbo makes all the backpressure the motor needs. Run straight pipes off of the catalytic converter if you want. I have no converter and glasspacks on mine.

Guest Anonymous

My bad. I should've asked first. I'm so used to talking about the TGP. I think with the cat. you have you could get away with glasspacks anyway. They are cheap enough it wouldn't hurt to try. I had a n/a 2.8 and that's what I had for exhaust. I noticed a little difference from the stock muffler.

Oh, and I don't have dual exhaust, just a plain ol' single 2 1/4in pipe :-\

So, since I only have one muffler, should I still get the Super Turbo or would the Ultraflo work without losing too much backpressure?

Thanks Guys

-MaD-[/b]

• 15 years later...

I don't understand Tapatalk for my new Samsung Galaxy S8 sending me a generic notification for Tapatalk, then directing me HERE when I swipe it. Anybody have an idea what's going on? Haven't had a new smartphone in 4 years, so I'm out of the loop. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In a phone browser everything works perfectly and we can click a link at the bottom to use the site in desktop mode. If tapatalk has value to you try uninstalling it and using an older version.