'89 Buick Regal coupe

CortxVortx

Greetings from Waco TX, home of that infamous cult compound, Baylor.

When my son turned 18, I handed over to him my '89 Buick Regal coupe, which I inherited from my parents, who bought it almost new in 1990.

It has the 2.8 L engine, which is peppy enough for a teenager, and 108K miles.

The car had not been running since December of last year, except for two occasions. It just wouldn't start. But my son got it running in July, for a couple of days, and we changed the oil and flushed the radiator. Then it quit again.

He got it started again Sept 18 and we drove it to a local mechanic, Dwight Allen. He replaced the intake air controller and throttle position sensor.

A few days later, the water pump sprung a leak, so back to Mr. Allen. He replaced that -- and then the car wouldn't start for him. He replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and charged us only half the labor cost because "I shoulda caught that in the first place!"

The car has been running fine since then.

This is a great car for a 6'4" guy, and it's paid for, so we'd like to keep it running for several more years. We'll be posting questions about the car as they occur to us.

Meanwhile, we enjoy reading other peoples' posts.

-- CortxVortx

Welcome! heh, some of those problems you described are common for these engines, I had the water pump go at 85k, the crank sensor went at 150k while I was 400 miles from home...

Was the crank position sensor and air intake temp sensor replaced because it was a *known* failure? Or just because it was suspected?

Several sources suggested the crankshaft position sensor, including the guys at Auto Zone, one of whom owns a Regal. My son and I might have attempted to replace it, if we knew where it was, but the Haynes book was just a wee bit vague on that.

The intake air controller was a new one on me.

As of this post, the car is still running fine. My son has put about 200 miles on it in two weeks (hard to tell -- the odometer doesn't work all the time).

Welcome. Its good to have new members and more people to post messages here. No offense Super Buick but i think that majority of the 1st generation w-body owners are older people and most there are other younger people that own them are thats us but with Buicks its mostly older people. I got to say that Regal GS in black is a very nice car and what i like better about it then other ones is that they have a 3.8 engine. Plz dont take any offense, and i am glad that you have more people with buicks and we need more members here with any w-body car.