Where is the odometer reading stored?

JPaganel

I am thinking of replacing my standard dash with a fancy multigage one. I am wondering if the odometer value is in the computer or if the odometer is contained in the dash itself.

Anybody know?

I got 191k on my 88 CS and my Dash from 94 CS shows 84k miles big difference. But acutally i would want it to show the real milage because i think it would be cool to have over 200k showing, and i tried moving the little numbers but they are very hard to move even with a little screw driver and they may get damaged. :cry:

I wont be selling my CS so i dont really care about milage on that car and the more the better (just cant wait to reach a 200k miles mark)

And does anybody know if milage on 99and Up mustangs is in a computer or only dash?? sorry for bringing a ford into this.

Write down before and after numbers when doing the cluster swap, so you can disclose the mileage to any buyers. Or could say mileage can't be determined due to speedo failure. Some automakers can program a cluster to a specific mileage before shipment to dealer.

An 1985 (pre-electronic cluster) GM shop manual says:

"When replacing a speedometer or odometer assembly, the law requires the odometer reading of the replacment unit to be set to register the same mileage as the prior odometer. If that same mileage cannot be set, the law requires that the replacement odometer be set to zero and a label be installed on the drivers door frame to show the previous odometer reading and the date of replacement."

This device claims to be able to reset electronic odometers.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~i8000/index.html

I think with a mechanical odometer, if you could just get that little motor to run, you could change the reading, OR since 191k will be 080k if you remove the number "assembly" and turn it one notch, just black out the silver lines with some paint or something...this is if the cutlass odo is similar to the GP speedo

On the stang, I bet it's in the cluster as well. If it's an analog odometer, I know how to turn it off. 8) If it's digital, I think a guy can change it with the ford scan tool, the WDS. not sure, haven't monkeyed around with odometer fraud myself, just seen it done.

If your interested in something cool with teh Mustang odometer, check out http://www.mustangworld.com lokk around for the how to section. They show you how to press 2 buttons or something to turn your Mustang odometer into a live speedometer, oild temp, fuel gauge, and code reader without modification. In fact, here is the link:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

sorry guys, I know its not w-body related, not even GM, but damn, i love the Mustang

When I had my extra Lumina cluster, I was able to turn the numbers on the odometer with no problems.. I set the thing to have 5000 miles less than what it had... didn't matter anyway, I bought the cluster off ebay.