Creaking sound when turning

DEMonte1997

Hey everyone. I own a 97' Monte Carlo. It has ~30K miles on it. Whenever I make either a right or left turn, I hear a distinct crackling or creaking sound coming from the front of the car. I'm assuming it might be a CV Joint? The only thing that puzzles me is that the car has so few miles on it, isn't it a lil' early for this to be happening? I've also heard that incorrect tire pressure will make this sound to. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Rick

It's fairly easy to check, just look at both the inner and outer boots for cracks or splits. For your sake hopefully it ain't the joints themselves, they don't come cheap. Are you the original owner?

Hard to imagine the boots going on a car with 30k.

Guest Anonymous
btw, what happened to your sig pic? the colors look all funky!

i'm more into making the car fast than making myself more comfortable while i drive.joshua

My cat peed on my picture. :roll: :lol: No not really. I did that with photoshop, just messing around.

Speaking of being comfy, my ol' lady bought me a new computer chair for my b-day and this thing is so comfy. Adj. up and down,tilt, and adj armrests. :mrgreen:

most probably it is not the CVs but the strut bearing on one or both struts, depending on where the noise comes from.

I'm 98% sure on this since i had the same problem and replaced both bearings cause of that.

I got one of those for my birthday from my parents, its so damn nice sitting here luxuriating while reading how all the nice guys at the W-body board wished me a happy birthday. Its like having an online bday party lolol (I guess this just means I'm probably now considered a "senior" member amongst the W-Body scene - 3+ years now)

I'd say it's the strut bearings. I mean, none of us can tell what it really us unless we were there but I have a similar problem on my 91 Regal GS. One or both of my strut bearings are "sticky" and have to be replaced. I hear creaking mainly when I do slow speed turns. Also, after making a turn, the vehicle feels like it wants to wander to in the same direction as my last turn. Usually when you replace the strut bearings you replace the strut as well. I'll replace my strut bearings when I get new lowering springs and new struts for the front and coilovers for the rear. That'll be in the spring though.

Joshua is the asshole (he told us he was!), not you 91 gransport!!! Would I of all people insult a Buick guy!!!!!! Paul knows whats up, Im just kiddin around.

Joshua, I don't think i need to explain things to you....... :wink: