• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• synistershadows

• IRONDOG442

• GOT2B GM

• spiderw31

well no loss in power and i SOUNDS like it closer to the top and it starts right up no problem

Then I think you need to find a different mechanic to work on your car. :lol: Either that or do the work yourself.

If you want to try to more closely locate the sound, get a long screwdriver and place the tip of it on the engine, and place your ear to the end of the handle. This will allow you to hear the sound a bit more clearly. Move the screwdriver to various points around the area and note the changes in the sound. When the sound is the lodest, you've likely located its source.

If this test shows the sound coming from the upper area of the head or through the cover, the problem is valvetrain. Thats where I'd put my money.

squished lifter or bad lobe on a cam would be my guess from that noise

x2

duke swap!

pull off the front cam cover, watch everything carefully, you might see something out of the ordinary, you might not, either way, find someone who knows the vin x engines and doesnt use the word junk when talking about it.

or buy my lq1 :)

You said something about not being able to have the car out for a long period of time did you not? If you keep driving it and it sounds like that, it could very well rip itself apart. You'd be much better to follow these guys advice and find a decent mechanic or look at it yourself.

• 5 months later...

I am going to hijack this because I have a very similar problem.

My car has been sitting for a year now. I have taken the cam carriers off about 10 times. It originally started as a bad/slipped timing belt. When I tried to time it, I ended up having to get a '95 cam carrier because I couldn't adjust the cam cogs on the '93. So, I get everything timed correctly and start it. It runs, but has the EXACT noise as in that video clip. It is in the top of the engine. So, I take everything apart. I even take the lifters apart individually. I have 48 total lifters because I have the ones that I got from the j/y car, also. I soak all the parts in carb cleaner for over a week, and they are bright and shiney.

Carefully, I re-assembled every lifter while it is submerged in synthetic 5W-30 to ensure that they are primed. I test every lifter and pick out the best 24 lifters. I then put everything back together and time it all up. Start it and get the same exact noise. Top of the engine.

I now have the cam carriers back off and have taken the camshafts out of the front carrier. None of the lifters are collapsed. I looked at the oil journals in the cam carrier (aluminum) and found some pitting where it appears there has been wear like metal rubbing in between the camshaft and the carrier. I will need to get a picture up, if someone wants to see what I am talking about. So far, I have cleaned all the metal (aluminum) shavings out of the cam carrier, but don't know if it is OK to use those, or do I need to buy a good set of carriers?

If so, does anyone want to sell (Ken) me a set of cam carriers.

Thank you,

Don

Meh mine kinda sounded like that it was coming from the top on both 3.4 cars when i bought them. The cutty turned out was a rod bearing. Found a GM Long Block Cheap. The Z was the in the bottom end as well. I put a used engine in that.

Possibly pull the ECM fuse, run the motor until the engine dies, pull the cam cover and have someone crank the motor?

? whats he looking for by erasing the ecu/cranking w/o running?

Errr I meant fuel pump fuse, but either way. Just to inspect the belt.