3 speed console, to 4 speed floor swap.. need answers

NeonKnight

So i am wondering, since i have the crappy 3 speed auto tranny with console shift, and i want the 4 speed with floor shift... what would i have to do to make this mod work? has anyone done this yet? i plan on doing it when my trans dies and i go pull a junkyard one.

I know i need these things

Console

Shifter arm

cables

trans (durh)

(reprogrammed ECM??)

since i have the bench seats i would have to get the buckets.. which i wouldnt mind. i would love a set of buckets out of a 92 or 93 Z34.. they are nice seats :) (leather would be nice too)

so does anyone have an tips tricks, answers for me. all the info you have on doing something like this would be greatly appreciated. if and when i do this there will be a nice write up with lots o pics.

yea i meant column... i am just that tired lol, classes are boring and little sleep for me. Thanks for the link im sure it should help.

i just like knowledge :)

I did the shifter swap on my old Grand Prix. It's pretty easy, really. Pulling the cable and shifter assembly from the console-shifted car will basically tell you all you need to know about putting it in your car.

umm is the hole for the shifter already cut? cuz under my carpet i can kinda feel a soft spot... im not sure though, and i really dont want to rip it that far up lol. If i do all my stereo stuff is getting uber rewired :)

It isn't really a "hole" per se. There are 4 slots. The console shifter is attached to the floor using 4 clips that go in those 4 slots. They're small metal clips with studs attached to them.

so its "predrilled" ?

what for the shifter cable though, is it supposed to be run an odd way?

and would a 4 speed out of a 3.1 bolt right up to my 3.1 that had a 3 speed before. no torque converter changing or anything?

plus would i have to get the computer from that car?

Yes. The clips go right in.

The shifter cable can be routed through the same gromet your console shifter is using. It's not worth it trying to route it where the factory does.

I'm guessing you'd probably need the 4T60/440T4's torque converter

Not totally sure on the computer, but I mean shit.. the EEPROM is easily pocketable.

There's an axle difference between 125-C equipped lumina's and thse with 4T60's, or so I've been told... and I think the 3 speed lumina's have a different final drive ratio as well...

since you have a 91' you will need:

90-92 w-body 4t60, with torque converter

90-92 4t60 half shafts for right and left

90-92 4t60 transmission mount (at least i'd imagine its different)

console

seats

shifter assembly + the clips that goto the floor board

interlock cable from steering column to shifter

shifter cable from shifter to trans

and optional: a non floor shift steering coumn would complete the conversion.

as for the PCM/ wiring harnas i have every reason to say that you can use your existing wirring harnas since the 3 speed ought to have a locking Torque converter

and the PCM, you may be able to get away with the old one, but try it, if it dosen't work, its easy to find the one for your application.

Yeah, i forgot all about that interlock cable. I'd really be suprised if the mounts were different, though.

And you can be ghetto like I was with the GP and just remove the torx bolt in the column shifter handle and pull it off. :lol:

Yeah, i forgot all about that interlock cable. I'd really be suprised if the mounts were different, though.

And you can be ghetto like I was with the GP and just remove the torx bolt in the column shifter handle and pull it off. :lol:

shoulda kept it, and told the people it had dual shifters...

shoulda kept it, and told the people it had dual shifters...

My 95 CS has dual shifters! I added a column shift and still have the center console :P

Where's the guy with the '442' two engine CS? He has dual shifters for sure!!!

Good tips, I've been thinking about this swap as well since the 3 speed is finally starting to show signs of weakness with almost 190k miles on it.

- Justin