-{[WRITEUP]}- Dome Override Switch

92LuminaRS

WRITEUP: Dome Override Switch

For those of you that don't have the factory light timer and work on your 1st gen W cars with the doors/hood/trunk open with the stereo going and that lovely drain of having all your interior/underhood/trunk lights on; this mod might be worth it for you. It is a switch to cut the power to your interior/trunk/hood lights to not have that drain on your battery. I usually just pulled the fuse, but this makes it much easier! This should take you roughly 30 minutes if you do it right.

Either disconnect your negative battery terminal or pull out your 15A Courtesy fuse. I reccomend disconnecting your battery terminal, but I was too lazy and just pulled the fuse. :) All screws are 8mm unless otherwise stated.

1. Remove the dash trim:

hpim0721medium2wx.jpg

2. Remove the two screws from the top of the fuse box bracket:

hpim0722medium7fb.jpg

3. Remove the six screws. Remove the one on the door limiter first, this will make it easier to remove the others:

hpim0722amedium9hq.jpg

4. Remove the glove box and disconnect your electrical connection and the light:

hpim0723medium9nq.jpg

5. Now that you have that done, remove the lower molding. The one on the left is a plastic phillips pressure screw:

hpim0725medium0lt.jpg

6. While you are under there remove the two bottom screws for the fuse box bracket:

hpim0726medium6pj.jpg

7. Remove the three screws holding the fuse box in the bracket:

hpim0727medium8nv.jpg

8. This is the wire you will be cutting. Cut the wire with about 3" hanging off the back of the fuse box. Splice in new terminated wire on both ends, solder and apply heat shrink tubing over the two splices. The terminated ends will plug into the toggle switch:

hpim0728medium7dc.jpg

9. This is where I mounted the toggle switch in my glove box. I was going to use a lighted switch but decided to keep it simple:

hpim0731medium7pr.jpg

10. Finished product. Power cut, and power applied:

hpim0732medium6fp.jpg

hpim0734medium8qu.jpg

The wires coming out of the fuse box are for my laptop, ignore those ;)

Thats really cool! Did you copy the idea from other GM cars?My 95 oldsvan has this near the cig lighter on the dashboard.I turn it off since its loaded with lights due to being a 7 passenger van.Every car should have that option.

Btw yours look factory finished.Great job!

:D

Thats really cool! Did you copy the idea from other GM cars?My 95 oldsvan has this near the cig lighter on the dashboard.I turn it off since its loaded with lights due to being a 7 passenger van.Every car should have that option.

Btw yours look factory finished.Great job!

:D

Thank you, I got the idea from another thread where we were discussing this so I decided hey, I've got some spare time on my hands....

my interior lights automatically shut off when the doors are open for like 15 mins.

Well than this mod isn't for you than huh? :roll: