What's wrong with this picture?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As you know i just put the '96 rear brakes on my new '89 GP. Well, the rear brakes on the TGP were starting to rub the sensors so I planned on doing them this past weekend. Thursday my g/f called me when she got to work and said the pedal had just went to the floor and she had no brakes. I went and drove the car home over the weekend. I looked through the drivers side front wheel and could see the rotor looked pretty bad. Well, I pulled the front wheels today and this is what I found on the drivers side.

6-3-2.jpg?i=1050475995

WTF? How does the freaking brake pad disappear? The caliper was ruined also. Half of it was gone from rubbing on the caliper when braking. I pulled everything apart on both sides and headed for the parts store. I already had one rotor and new pads so I got another rotor. Since I don't like half-azzing things I bought two new calipers also. Here is the result.

6-3-3.jpg?i=1049497937

6-3-4.jpg?i=1049498012

I have seen that happen before but not on a two piston caliper design!! Hell if it was me I probably would've sat there looking at it in shock or looking for the pad itself! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guest Anonymous
yeah I would have just stared at it and wondered what the hell happened. That is very strange and scary, never heard of that.

Robby

When I looked at it I was like WTF? Where did the pad go? I just sat there for like 2-3 minutes saying WTF?

yeah I would have just stared at it and wondered what the hell happened. That is very strange and scary, never heard of that.

Robby

When I looked at it I was like WTF? Where did the pad go? I just sat there for like 2-3 minutes saying WTF?

LOL :lol: :lol: Exactly what I would have done!

Robby

what is the difference between the 89 and 96 rears? if they are bigger rotors i would love to change over, also what is involved with that? does the e-brake cable hook up.

p.s. thats scary ass hell, just be glad that didnt happen when you where fling down a highway or something.

Does my 96 CS have dual pistons?

That story is scary as hell. My moms Lumina (91) would go through breakpads like crazy, and someitmes loose presure. You would put the pedal to the ground, and NOTHING.

Jon

what is the difference between the 89 and 96 rears? if they are bigger rotors i would love to change over, also what is involved with that? does the e-brake cable hook up.

you already have the bigger rear rotors 94+

Does my 96 CS have dual pistons?

yes

no you don't! I wish i had rear drums on my car!!! GEN 1 rear disks blow big time! I still don't have a pedal after bleeding like 3 times and drilled rotors and carbon metallic pads. Go figure. jay

no you don't! I wish i had rear drums on my car!!! GEN 1 rear disks blow big time! I still don't have a pedal after bleeding like 3 times and drilled rotors and carbon metallic pads. Go figure. jay

Never had a problem out of my rear brakes and my 93 GP has 230K on it. I believe the rear calipers are ORIGINAL!!!! the front ones have been replaced, along with rotors and numerous sets of brake pads over the years. I'm beginning to wonder if my 93 GP got the newer style calipers? Guess I'll have to take a look see at them sometime later this week.

if they are original than they are prolly are froze up, mine were with only 55,000 on it. Then i replaced them again at 62,000 cuz they blew out. Now i did them again just a few weeks ago @ 74,000 and the drivers rear was froze again!? I hate my brakes, i've been so good to my car too. And yes i know what i am doing and i buy quality parts. Go figure, i am going to power bleed them this week if i can. Later Jay

dude wtf? that doesnt even begin to make sense. ur gf didnt hear any kind lound clank noise or ANYTHING before that happened? im getting a headache thinking about that so im gunna stop now

Yeow...

I can imagine the clips at the back of the pad coming loose and causing rattling (especially if the rotors are warped) but of all the half dozen cars I've owned I've never had a front pad come off.. and I have a history of abusing brakes. :)

Considering how important the fronts are I would seriously try to find out what caused the pad to come off. It sounds absurd considering how the calipers are designed but I guess anything is possible under certain circumstances.

I dont mean to sound like a smart-ass or anything but if you think about its kinda funny. You pulled the wheel off already knowing you didn't have brakes and TAH-DAH no pads!! Gee wonder why I dont have brakes? Like I said I have heard of that happening, but not on these style brakes! Glad no one got hurt though :) :)

I know lots of folks have had problems with the first gen. rear brakes...but I have not. I think I put pads on the back of my Cutlass twice in the past 8 years, and thant's with me driving like an idiot all the time

wish i had 4 wheel disk brakes on my monte lol i have front disk and rear drum on my z34

There is a big aftermarket for a conversion on the montes. If you are willing to pa the price you can get some awesome brakes from ssbrakes.com or bear.com

Guest Anonymous
dude wtf? that doesnt even begin to make sense. ur gf didnt hear any kind lound clank noise or ANYTHING before that happened? im getting a headache thinking about that so im gunna stop now

She didn't hear anything. All she knows is that the brakes were working and when she hit them again the pedal went to the floor.

Ahhaha! yeah I have seen that happen, had a company car (VW Passat) sit in the lot too long with bad brakes, then when it was going to get taken in for service, the driver put it reverse and drove out of the parking space. The person following him got out and picked up the pads that just fell out from under the rear wheel. LOL!

Had a friend that drove his 82' Labron unti lthe pad rivets ground away the ENTIRE side of the disk brake, only the vents remained. He said he started to feel the brakes getting jerky and "lumpy" . Never seen rotors that destroyed on a regular non-racing car before, and the pads on one side had worn down and just fallen off.

I know lots of folks have had problems with the first gen. rear brakes...but I have not. I think I put pads on the back of my Cutlass twice in the past 8 years, and thant's with me driving like an idiot all the time

Precisely the problem! The 88-93 rear brakes don't work well so the front brakes have to do ALL the work. I think in 6 years I never had to change my rear pads ONCE while I had to change the front pads several times and the front rotors would warp after a few weeks.

Oh well, pics don't work for me, just red X's. Maybe later they'll work. I wanna see this!

Robby

I bet the clip on the back broke off and the hole pad came sliding out. pads must have been pretty thin if they slid out.

The blue clip see in this pic is what i am refering to:

6-3-3.jpg?i=1049497937

the fronts are the same calipers fro all 1st gen w-bodies.. the rears from 88-93 are SHYT!

only complaint i have is i can't keep the pads from toasting. i change my pads every 3 months..

RedZ