annyoing clicking noise

cutlass_driver91

i have this lousd clicking clacking noise when i ONLY turn to the right i spun the tires in loose gravel real quick and ever sense i have the weird loud clicking noise from the right side..........dose the 91 cutlass conv. have a lower tranny mount or a lower eninge mount that might have broke.....hell i graduated from nascar tech and i cant figure this one out

Isn't it called a CV shaft? not a CV joint? :shrug:

I don't really know, honestly. When I asked for a CV joint at a parts store, they didn't know what I was talking about. They knew what a CV shaft was though.

I believe that is what the noise is as well.

The shaft would technically be the axle, which has a CV joint at each end.

There are Inner and Outer CV joint. CV stands for Constant Velocity, and it allows the axle to bend at an angle and still transfer power. There are several different styles, but the most common uses 2 slotted racesways with a set of ball bearings it it. When the raceways become worn, they snap as the bearings catch and produce a clicking noise.

Hope this helps :?

When I asked for a CV joint at a parts store, they didn't know what I was talking about. They knew what a CV shaft was though.

Lucky You! You have experiecned the JOY of ignorance! I hate parts people who don;t know how to help.

CV joints Can be rebuilt, and you can buy rebuild kits, but the cost of a new shaft is cheap enough I would just replace the shaft.

The shaft would technically be the axle, which has a CV joint at each end.:?

Technically there is only one CV joint (outer). The inner is called a "tri-pot". :lol:

We should just stick with axle assembly. 8)

The shaft would technically be the axle, which has a CV joint at each end.:?

Technically there is only one CV joint (outer). The inner is called a "tri-pot". :lol:

We should just stick with axle assembly. 8)

correct!!!!!!!!!

How about... CV axle shaft?

nope sorry guys i replaced both left and right cv axles/drive axle's and the noise is still there(3 months ago) i thought it was just a rock in the under craaege but nope could it be the starter hiting the flyweel??? the one mechainc said it was the LOWE RIGHT TRANNY MOUNT.....and my dealer said there ISNT a lower right tranny mount but only a lower right eninge mount so what in gods green earth can it be?????

umm does the car have hub cap? If so take em off and take it for a test drive.

if it still clicks...

try this.

Open the hood with car in park, parking brake off, wheels straight ahead.

grab the car by the upper radiator support, and start rocking the car hard until the engine is jerking against the engine mounts.

If you are worried about the car rolling away, place a block a few inches away from one of the tires, btw. so it has room to rock.

repeat with the wheel turned far left and right.

See if you can imitate and isolate the sound.

I'm thinking check:

lower control arm mounts and bushings

tie rods(inner and outer)

CV(just is case, replaced before of after the wheel spin???)

and engine mounts(both lowers and the dogbones)

crazy_k the tie rods are what i am thinking because it only happens when i turn right and on the gas....but as soon as i let off the gas it stops...thats why i was asking abot the lower right tranny mount.......cause it has the 4T60 hydamatic tran in it and one of the mounts are broke the mechainc at minake said it was the lower right transmisson mount......................

Guest TurboSedan
the mechainc at minake said it was the lower right transmisson mount......................

the mechanic was probably looking at it the wrong way :lol: there is only one transmission mount and it is on the left side.

have you checked the CV boots (since you've replaced them) to make sure they are not ripped or have become unclamped?

the CV axles are in 100% good shape no tears no nothing would it be better just to change ALL the eninge/transmisson mount and then see what happens....cause i dont think it can be the rack' n' pinion or anything like that

okay if you think it's your tie-rods...jack the car up and shake the front wheels from side to side. If there is excessive play then bingo!... If you shake them up/down that's checking balljoints which I doubt is your issue, but might as well check them as long as the car's off the ground.

okay...so is everybody sure that it is not the lower right eninge mount and the starter or anything is hitting up aginst the flyweel or anything when i make a right turn....

It may be...but I honestly don't think so. If it's not the CV joints, then try tierods.

For shits and giggles, are the lugnuts on the wheels tight? I had a friend that didn't tighten them down all the way once and he heard a clicking sound and that was it.

I had the same problem on my Lumina. It made a clicking noise only when I made a right turn. Mine turned out to be the starter. As soon as I replaced it the noise went away.