Steering wheel controls question.

This is a little weird, and it is starting to annoy me. I installed Steering wheel controls in my 1988 Cutlass. I installed the digital AC, and I put in a factory CD player from a Grand Prix. Everything was working well until recently. I noticed a long time ago that when I have a CD in the player, the only button on the steering wheel that work with it is the volume. All of the buttons work with the radio on, but with the CD, only the volume. The AC works fine. No problems there.

About a month ago, I was driving to work, and listening to a CD. I went around a turn, and the CD stopped playing. It did not start playing again until after the wheel was straight again. This happens frequently, and sometimes it will even turn off the radio, spit out the CD, skip or repeat tracks, and even on occasion, tell me that I am on song 9 when I am really listening to song 3 (example).

Sometimes, I will go a week without any problems, and other times, I just have to turn it off, because if I barely move the steering wheel, it messes up again. I have also noticed that when it is acting up, NONE of the buttons will work for the radio or the AC until it starts playing again. I also cannot adjust anything on the radio (using the buttons on the radio), but I can still adjus the AC (using the buttons on the AC).

Any idea of what could be causing this? The wiring looks fine. The switch is acting fine (lighting up the turn signals, brakes, etc, as well as the light for night on the buttons).

Could it be a bad translator, or cancel cam?

Taylor

Man, if its a bad camcel cam (which it could be) that sucks. Those things are hard to find, and slavage yards usually don't want to seperate the cam from the while column. The other problem with those cams is that most of the ones that are left are worn pretty badly...and they are about $360 from the dealer.

Jason

Actually, I have lucked out. Every time that I would find a w-body with the steering wheel off, or the column removed, I would check around, so I actually have about 3 or 4 spare ones lying around. I just don't feel like removing the steering wheel. I am almost afraid that if I remove it, the horn will quit working again. I am on my 3rd pad, and I am just now getting one that the center pad actually works on.

the cancel cam is the piece that goes in between the turn-signal switch, and the steering wheel. It is the piece that the horn connector touches, and the steering wheel controls plug into. There is a metal piece sticking out of the turn signal switch, and the plastic/metal circle thing that go onto it, then you put on the steering wheel. The plastic thing with the metal ring (1 ring for jus the horn, and 4 rings for the steering wheel controls) is the cancel cam.