Project GAS MILEAGE: 2000 GTP

1BADVR4

Step 3. COMPLETED

Changed the spark plugs and wires. Somebody put some NGK platinums in there and they were pretty worn out. I replaced them with Delco iridiums. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. Most difficult set of wires I have ever done. The wires were practically welded to the plugs. I trashed the wires getting them off so I replaced them with a Delco set. I would rather do plugs and wires on my VR4 than on a GTP like this.

Step 4. COMPLETED

SES light came on. P0128 Coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature. I'm guessing the thermostat is stuck open because the heat doesn't get very hot and the temp gauge seems low all the time. I put a thermostat in and let the vehicle warm up. It gets to a normal operating temp and I can now see the point where the thermostat opens and it starts to cool back down. The code has not been reset yet because I haven't driven the vehicle and it takes 3 key cycles with certian perameters met to reset the code, but I'm confident this fixed the problem based on the temperature difference noted. Proper operating temperature should help improve gas mileage.

Step 5. COMPLETED

Set tire pressure. I know, this should have been step 1 but oh well. Some of the tires were as low as 25psi so I set them all to 35psi.

...more to come.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1BADVR4

• john99gtp

• sl3196

• White93z34

I'm up to 18.4 MPG actual. The DIC says 19.3. I was hoping for more but this has only been 1 tank and not even a full one since I put the plugs and wires on.

This is also a bad time of year for gas mileage. Every morning my car is starting in temps ranging from 8-30 degrees F. It sits there idleing for about 15 minutes until I leave for work. Cold start fuel tables for temps that low are rediculously rich. Same thing on the way home except less warm-up time. It has been VERY cold here in Michigan in the mornings for December.

35mpg on a gtp?

not only that, but a modded gtp?

im sorry, but BS flags gonna raise here :bs: :bs:

Why??? My dads GTP got 37mpg on the freeway when it was running 12.4's @ 112mph. We calculated it on the way back from the dragstrip, so this is with 2 people in it, plus about 300lbs. worth of tires, tools, etc... This isn't according to the DIC either, ACTUAL mpg. Things like headers, rockers, ported TB, plugs, etc... will help your mileage. Then he put the 3.29 gears and the XP cam in and now it gets right around 29-30mpg on the freeway. Overall with a mix of city and highway mileage he averages about 25mpg.

Shawn

35mpg on a gtp?

not only that, but a modded gtp?

im sorry, but BS flags gonna raise here :bs: :bs:

Why??? My dads GTP got 37mpg on the freeway when it was running 12.4's @ 112mph. We calculated it on the way back from the dragstrip, so this is with 2 people in it, plus about 300lbs. worth of tires, tools, etc... This isn't according to the DIC either, ACTUAL mpg. Things like headers, rockers, ported TB, plugs, etc... will help your mileage. Then he put the 3.29 gears and the XP cam in and now it gets right around 29-30mpg on the freeway. Overall with a mix of city and highway mileage he averages about 25mpg.

Shawn

i dropped it, please dont bring it back, last thing i want to do is hijack his thread again

Heh I'm getting like 15mpg. Stupid cold weather.

Yea, it's cold here too. This morning was 11 degrees when I drove into work. This would be much better to do in the warmer weather.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gp crazy

I drive to and from work in a 93 lumina all stock 3.1 3 speed auto. I never changed fulid in the tranny" why do it it looks & smells fine". I can get only 22 in winter "no idleing get in and drive" and 28 in the summer i drive highway almost every day 33 miles one way to work and back. i spend about 239.00 a month in gas. & thats my car.

My wifes has a 90 gp-ste and it gets 18.5 -- 21.7 city and highway + sits and idle's a lot. the dic says 23.5 most of the time but best i come i can come up with is 18.0 or 22.0 math wise so in my case dic is wrong.

damn, just came back from a somewhat long trip, didnt record exact mileage.

Got about 300 or so on 12.4gallons

24mpg, not bad, considering its winter and it was prolly bad gas. it was all highway for the most part, 75+

I cant say ive seen 19 over a tank, but then again, i dont have many short trips, i usually just gto work and back which is 18 miles. its the warmups that kill :wink:

oooo, i bet that will help

nothing like having a weak signal to f shit up with

The secondary wiring terminal (spark plug wire) was corroded. Its somewhat common.