"hood"liner?

THe_DeTAiL3R

:lol: okay so I don't know what it's actually called, but I'm talking about the black piece of insulation that is on the underside of the hood...

Mine is dirty/worn out looking, and I'm wondering how much they cost, and where to get them? I know the dealership would be able to get them, but cheaper places?

it's also supposed to extinguish the fire if one ever starts. The clips are supposed to melt and drop the mat to smother the fire. But i was also wondering where to get a new one, mine looks like shit as well

I was always told GM dealers.

For my Chevelle, I can go to OPG and they have them. Believe it or not, they still have them at dealers even for a 1977! They're only about $50 for my Chevelle; I've never checked a price on one for a W.

mine sagged and got caught and sucked down by the belt!

:fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity: :fruity:

what is it made out of? fiberglass mat?

it keeps engine heat from baking the paint off the hood over time, that includes the visible TOP part

BS. I've never run one on ANY of my cars, and I've never had a paint issue. The Montana hasn't had one since we bought it brand new in 1999. Perfect paint on the hood. It's more sound insulation than anything else.

I also think it's suppose to keep vibration down too. Our '87 Camry didn't have one, and whenever you'd stop at a light or something, the hood would wiggle because of the vibrtions. :lol: Haven't seen that with my car...of course, it runs much better than the Camry did. lol

it keeps engine heat from baking the paint off the hood over time, that includes the visible TOP part

I never had that problem in my old TGP, and I had the hood liner off of it for 2+ years.

When I had my old Lumina repainted, I had the underside of the hood done as well. That never had any sort of heat related paint problems either.

I also think it's suppose to keep vibration down too. Our '87 Camry didn't have one, and whenever you'd stop at a light or something, the hood would wiggle because of the vibrtions. :lol: Haven't seen that with my car...of course, it runs much better than the Camry did. lol

Your Camry probably had a four-cylinder and most of the time four-cylinders run roughly anyway. :lol:

I never had that problem in my old TGP, and I had the hood liner off of it for 2+ years.

When I had my old Lumina repainted, I had the underside of the hood done as well. That never had any sort of heat related paint problems either.

I have heard that it does help...though...My RX-7 doesn't have one, can't have one because the intake is already has a cut out in the hood support to let it close. My RX-7 runs hotter then ANY W out here I'm willing to bet - paint is still great on the hood and it is a 21 year old car almost.

My dad doesnt have one on his car, and I am willing to bet that thing runs hotter than anything anybody here has. The paint on the hood is in near perfect condition. so I really dont think it has anything to do with paint. If anything, all it does is insulate the heat to keep the hood from getting hotter than hell. Because my car still has it and I can drive it for hours and the hood will still be cold, you drive my dads car for 30 minutes and the hood gets hot. But obviously not hot enough to damage the paint.

not to sound like a dick (probably will anyway) HOW IN THE FUCK WILL THAT KEEP VIBRATION DOWN? :? :?: It's not between the hood and fender where it comes close to touching?!

My dad doesnt have one on his car, and I am willing to bet that thing runs hotter than anything anybody here has. The paint on the hood is in near perfect condition. so I really dont think it has anything to do with paint. If anything, all it does is insulate the heat to keep the hood from getting hotter than hell. Because my car still has it and I can drive it for hours and the hood will still be cold, you drive my dads car for 30 minutes and the hood gets hot. But obviously not hot enough to damage the paint.

My RX-7 gets hot, not hot like I burned my hand, but ouch this is uncomfortable....where if you were to wax the hood after driving it hard the wax drys damn near instantly....

The whole fornt end of that car gets hot actually, but since hot air rises the hood gets most of it....I contribute all this warmth to the cooling fan always running and blowing warm air all around. Hell any seam in relate to the engine bay has warm air blowing out of it while running :S....