Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I want everyone to try this and let me know what happens, and if I'm the only one it happens to what is wrong?

I was driving on interstate today and had the HUD turned on. The cruise was set at 75. I tapped the brakes to slow down for a truck and thought I seen the drivers side turn signal flash on the HUD display. So I tapped the brake again. Nothing. So I resumed my cruise speed and farther down the road had to hit the brakes again. Turn signal flashed again. So I started trying different things. It does it at any speed. But the catch is... once you touch the brakes once it won't do it again until you touch the gas pedal again. As long as you accelerate at least 1 m.p.h. and touch the brakes afterwards it will do it. Sometimes it is just the drivers side. Sometimes it is both sides at once making it look like the 4-ways flashed once. Could this possibly have anything to do with my turn signal switch being bad? Mine is not fixable either cause the horn burned out of it a couple weeks ago

Maybe a loose wire in the HUD wiring? The brake wire for the HUDs becomes a 12 volt positive wire when you push the brake pedal, and the turn signal wire is 12 volt positive as well. Also, the brake wire goes from the brake switch through the turn siganl switch and then goes to the brake lights...the power wire for the 3rd light goes to the light without going through the turn signal switch (this is why you sometimes see w-bodies with both brake lights not working, but the 3rd brake light is working). Maybe you have a bad/faulty connection in that switch somehow.

Jason

It might be that you have a short somewere on the turn signal switch. I changed my because i didnt have brake lights because of the turn signal switch and to have them i had to push it hard on it, but after i changed it went away.

I have had a HUD in my Cutlass for about a year now, and the only time that the turn signal lights came on when i was braking was when I had them wired wrong. Since I have fixed the wiring, I have never had that problem since.

I'm sorry but mine just looks like an old tape recorder. Prefereably one from Califon. I've also been told it was a cheese grater. Sometimes I've reffered to it as a BBQ grill. Next time I'm gonna put my double quarter pounder on it and make it well done!!!!!!!!! .....

Anyways I never experianced that yet... But I wonder is it normally hard to see the display the first GEN unit in a GP. Like I have mine set all the way up because I can't see it any other way. I sit normal in the car and every now and then I'll still have a hard time seeing it. I know I have it in the right spot too...

I thought the windshields were just regular windshields, only that the inside was highly polished for a more reflective surface. Wouldn't the same effect be acheived with something like a little strip of mirror tint? where the display would go?

-MaD-

I have read on a few boards that the windshields of the 89-90 grand prix's, particularly the turbo's, were all the same hud and non hud. And in 1991, they started coating the hud ones.