3.1 Turbo Smoking like crazy ***Retarded DIS plug***

Prospeeder

My Lines inside liner was peeling off making like bubbles

There's your smoking problem!

YUPPER! Damn I assumed as many others I guess that with your history with Turbo GP's that this would have been the first thing you checked and then listed off all the other things. Oh well now you will see when you put the new hose back on that you will no longer be employed with your local government to fog for mosquitos! :wink: :lol: 8)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prospeeder

• TGPilot

• Garrett Powered

• Gearhead43

Guest TurboSedan

i'm almost positive it is the same size, as i have bought a hose from TU.com for my GTS and compared it to the one i use in my Cutlass. i'm not saying a hydraulic hose won't work.

Hydralic will work but it is serious overkill! Hydralic hoses have a serious amount of internal webbing to withstand 1000's of pounds of line pressure. This is only a return drain line! Get some pretty colored silicon if you wish or some oil resistant hose will work.

Hell on the Talon I put a piece of 5/8" heater hose in my return line as a temporary fix...when I realized I forgot about it 3 weeks and 1500 miles later I checked it. It was not swollen or leaking at all.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING HEATER HOSE AS IT IS NOT OIL RESISTANT AND MAY CAUSE THE SAME ISSUE...but it was a great temp fix on that car. :wink: 8)

Hmm, well, i dunno where im gona find some heat resistant silicon Line, but i know diesle shops sell hydrolic line, and its cheap i THINK, dont quote me, but like 8$ a foot or somthing, but where wouldi find the pretty colored silicon hoses?

i dont have any performance shops or anything, i have like, Omak Diesle, Napa, Omak Marine, Shucks, and Car quest

thanks for the link, if all else fails ill go for that

Guest TurboSedan
Napa will have oil resistant silicon lines...pretty cheap too I would imagine. 8)

i tried finding that stuff here in town at probably 6 different places....including heavy truck supply stores inluding CAT, NAPA and every other car parts store, heating/AC shops, you name it i couldn't find it anywhere. some shops did have some but not in the right size :(

shucks nor napa had anything but ricer shit and heaterhoses, and omak diesel is closed, so ill be going there tomarrow along with Okanogan Truck and Tractor Supply wich i was told by napa would have it in 5/8 and all

Sometimes you get lazy people or rookies that don't know the store. But oh well. Jeff should have the hoses in stock at his J&M TGP Parts Store.

I used a ...6in 5/8 pipe and two hoses. Solved my hose problem forever.

NO... Its the Turbo Bearing seal failed.. I'll tell you how to check for it.... Look at the place where the Turbo's outlet to the exhaust is... Do you see oil oozing lightly from the connection...? If so The smoke you see is UNburnt pure oil that has not mixed with GAS... (That would be BLUISH smoke.) .. Most likely caused by your turbo bearing that sezied in the bore. If that is the case... You'll need a new Turbo core with a new housing section.. Because you can not reuse a scored housing.

Dave...if the return line is backing up it will cause the oil to be pushed through that seal so I think I would go after the $10 fix before I went after a $200 part. I am sure he will update us as soon as he gets his car back together... :wink: 8)

well im pretty sure its this Line, cause theres tiny bits of oil in the piping and white smoke out the back, and somtimes bluish if i get on it, and theres no shaft play on my turbo, it seems almost brand new, like old grandma blew it up or somthing and got a new one, i would think there would be some shaft play after 71k, if it was what you said, it would ONLY be out the turbine side, mines out both, but not in large quanities like i see people whos seals go out and theres a quart of oil in the intercooler :lol:

Whe I read what Gearhead said It rang "true" to me, Like he had been through this and knows what he is talking about. Kinda like me, mine did all that was explained and cost me a grand ($200 Yea right.)

I have never seen one repaired with a rubber hose, but it is wishful thinking! I know others have, Its just my gut feeling.

I did the blue hose on mine, silicone I guess it is. It did nothing, and continued to intermittently blow huge plumes of smoke and later on smoked non stop.

I got pulled over and almost got a ticket for it, so do like I said with the Mechanix gloves and PB Brakes loose.

Well its not like im loosing TONS of freakin oil and the clouds of smoke [are not] monsterous and fully blue, its white on idle and blueish white on moderate and bluish black on hard-WOT acceleration

lets HOPE this is the problem

Well the oil return line is the easiest thing to check... Loosen the clamps.... Pull off the plastic return hose and see if it's blocked... .. They do indeed go bad from time to time.... But my problem was a wee bit more serious then a blocked oil return line.... And not to mention EXPENSIVE... :x

Let me know what you need. I can get you the same line I put on my TGP and TSTE. I forget what it cost me per foot...but it is a blue silicon high temp oil resistant line. 12" x 5/8" + two small worm gear clamps. Also used the same line on the coolant return line. If you are interested I can call the shop I got mine from and see what it costs per foot... :wink: 8)