ZeroDCX

Can anyone assist me in my current swap. I'm trying to swap out a base regal digital cluster for a UB3 regal cluster. If you have any info, diagrams, schematics or anything that could help. I'll greatly appreciate the assistance.

I'm in a bind right now, the UB3 turns on, Seat belt, brake, low coolant, ses, cruise, signals, high beam indicators and stuff works. But the tach and speedo, don't do a thing. They sit at "0" Thanks for your help guys.

Well if it's anything like the Cutlass UB3...you'll need to run a wire from the brownish orange wire on the ALDL to the orange data wire in the cluster harness to get the tach working...

But just to clarify...you did re-pin the harness right? I'm pretty sure that it isn't plug and play going from a base digi to a UB3...

Hopefully someone has the pinouts for you in case you didnt re-pin it. StockGP can make you an adapter too if you dont want to mess around with that.

IIRC, the ALDL is the computer port that resides on the bottom of your dash. I think you can splice it in there.

Yeah, it's a twelve pin plug in the footwell. Look for a tanish orangish wire coming from the back of it. IIRC...it's in the top right-most position. Then run a wire from that to the data wire in the cluster harness... should give you a tach at least.

Oh, yeah!!! *smacks himself in the head* I know what ya'll are talking about now. Just used that this morning as a matter of fact. That wouldn't account for me not having the speedo not working would it? I'll see if that works, thanks for the help guys!!!

and thanks for the free advertising zach(or zach) :lol: . man i can never how other people spell their names.

anyhow, sounds like he's done the work mostly. it'd be kind of pointless to buy an adapter from me now.

half the point of me making adapters is so you don't have to change the factory wiring. that way if you decide to sell the car later, you can put things back th eway they were.

I only have one thing to say. I LOVE ALL OF YOU FELLOW W-BODY OWNERS!!!!! I hooked up the Orange wire to the ALDL signal wire and voila. I have a tachometer now, but the only problem is my speedo doesn't work still. Does anyone know if I can install senders in my L27? So I can get the Temp & Oil Guages working properly. But I guess I should take it one step at a time huh!?

I can't distinguish between the Temp & the Speedo wire, both of which are Dark Green wires. When I tried interchanging them, the speedo still didn't work. I don't expect the Temp Guage to work, because I haven't installed the senders. Wouldn't it have needed the "C13 (ORN 461) BI-DIRECTIONAL SERIAL DATA LINK BETWEEN CLUSTER AND ECM to the ALDL" to be connected for the Speedometer to operate?

no. if that were the case your speedo wouldn't have worked on the base cluster :lol: .

seriously, though, the speedo wire doesn't connect to the aldl.

just tell me what ports your temp and speedo wires are in and we'll go from there

I didn't have the schematics for the instrument cluster on my 92' Base Digital Cluster, but i had the one for the 91' UB3 Cluster. I believe the ports for the 92' is "D5 (DRK GRN) Temp Sensor Input" and "D14 (DRK GRN) Vehicle Speed Input from ECM."

Tell me something though, I just went and started my car and moved it around, The Temp Guage bounced around a bit, the speedo still didn't read anything at all and the Fuel Guage works intermittently, reads empty most times but a 1/4 tank some of the time (which requires me to restart the car), a 1/4 tank of fuel is what it was at before I attempted swapping the clusters. Could I have crossed the Temp and Speedo wires? When I moved the car forward then backward a couple feet, the Temp guage moved a bit. Is it supposed to move even though I didn't install the senders?

well if that' the case then they'r enot backwards, they are just wrong.

go check and see which ports they are in. the speedo wire should be in d 15. the temp should be in d12

I believe so, that or it's the opposite. I don't have the pinouts for my 92' Buick, can't find them in the service manual.

Go to the section in 8A called "instrument cluster gauges" or something to that effect. The pinout will be in that section. :wink:

Great news guys ... I got the UB3 up and running, everything's working as it should. Just one problem, what am I supposed to do about the senders for the Temp & Oil Pressure Gauges?

• 17 years later...

Okay, this conversation is some years old, but I bought a 1988 Buick Regal Limited and also like to swap the instrument cluster to an UB3 full digital cluster. If there is an adapter available, I would like to use that easy plug-and-play option to get it runing. If there's someone out there to help me with this, it would be great.

Edited by Heiner

You`ll need to make an adapter from a donor instrument cluster and wiring harness.

Heres a good thread with a working proto-type for the Cutlass however the Buick shouldnt be much different.

• Like 1