question for you turbo experts

brian89gp

I'm TC'ing my 3.4 DOHC and got most everything figured out except for a few things.

1. the exaust, i imagine the best way for the crossover is to copy the tgp with flexpipes on each side then the flange in the middle?

2. and for the downpipe, i hope the exaust shop can get one bent to fit right. On a note to that, on ebay i saw a TGP downpipe and it had some heatsheild or maybe it had some woven stainless steel on it. Is it a solid one piece design or not?

3. For the exaust heat, aside from JET coating i can't think of anything. Are there any good alternatives?

4. the oil supply and return, where is the supply taken from? And anybody got a pic of the return line to the oil pan and where it is located at?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

1) Yes, but use good quality flexpipe.

2) It is one piece I believe.

3) Can't help with that one.

4)There is an oil filter ext. with the supply line coming out of it. The return line goes into the block just above the starter.

I can get pics of anything you want, providing it's accessible without removing too much stuff. Let me know.

http://turboz24.xanthor.net/Pics/Current_Engine_29.JPG

I plan to place the turbo something like that just cause thats the only place it will fit (pic from turboz24.com). Would having unequal length pipe from each header to the turbo cause problems? Also just trying to figure out where there needs to be flex pipes, I imagine that the rocking engine would not be good on the downpipe.

I think that covers it except on how to do the exaust. Thanks.

the tgp crossover i had was solid. the downpipe, thats the flexible peice. they sell that stainless flex pipe in replacement part catalogs like jc whitney. i gave up on tc'ing my 3.4 because i couldnt get anyone to tell me i could get a computer to work with it except the electromotive one with new DIS for like 2200 bux. so i sold all my turbo and intercooler and parts. im just gonna get nitrous cause the 3.4 is plenty fast enough for daily driving, only want a little more kick for the track

Guest Anonymous

Correction on the supply line, Brian. I just did an oil change and did some looking. The supply line goes around and in behind the filter extension. Where it connects I'm not sure of. There is too much stuff in the way to see it. Sorry for bad info. I did get a few pics of different things, though. If your interested in seeing them I'll email them to you. Let me know.

Guest Anonymous

OK, they should get there sometime tonight. I still have to get them off the camera. I hope these help you at least a little cause I got bitched at so bad for sticking the camera up and down around the motor trying to get pics. :lol: But it's all better now. :kiss:

heh. ive got the turbo and its got all the oil and coolant lines attached to it, and i got the coolant line from the water pump. what we do not know is where the oil lines go to/. come from and where the out side of the water line goes to

First time for me to have a little time and to be a member over here and post so, howdy guys and gals.

To answer the last left questions:

The stock downpipe is wrapped with mineral fibers, with a metal braiding over that, no flex to the downpipe at all. JetHot is one choice for thermal barrier coating but last workmanship I recieved from them was poor and the redo was the same, unfortunately. I have used High Performance Coating (HPC) in the past with excellant workmanship and product. One suggestion is to not use appearance coating/shiney stuff, instead use the thicker flat color high-temp coating which is proper for exhaust componants!

As for oil supply, first need to upgrade to high-volume oil pump, stock is (this car is great the more you know of it!!) Mellings M95HV, bolts right in. Now find the threaded plug in the block just above the contact point of where the oil fitler/adpater etc is, this was the oil pressure port for engines without the oil cooler adapter, and yes it would be a good idea to add this engine oil cooler adapter if not already optioned with this engine/car. Turbo Oil Drain Line goes into side of oil pan near top so chruned-up oil from turbo can drain properly into oil pan/supply.

All I got time for right now, good luck.

Jeff M

First time for me to have a little time and to be a member over here and post so, howdy guys and gals.

To answer the last left questions:

The stock downpipe is wrapped with mineral fibers, with a metal braiding over that, no flex to the downpipe at all. JetHot is one choice for thermal barrier coating but last workmanship I recieved from them was poor and the redo was the same, unfortunately. I have used High Performance Coating (HPC) in the past with excellant workmanship and product. One suggestion is to not use appearance coating/shiney stuff, instead use the thicker flat color high-temp coating which is proper for exhaust componants!

As for oil supply, first need to upgrade to high-volume oil pump, stock is (this car is great the more you know of it!!) Mellings M95HV, bolts right in. Now find the threaded plug in the block just above the contact point of where the oil fitler/adpater etc is, this was the oil pressure port for engines without the oil cooler adapter, and yes it would be a good idea to add this engine oil cooler adapter if not already optioned with this engine/car. Turbo Oil Drain Line goes into side of oil pan near top so chruned-up oil from turbo can drain properly into oil pan/supply.

All I got time for right now, good luck.

Jeff M

Thanks for the reply. Just a couple updates that I have found, the DOHC has a huge oil pump already so I am set there. I will look into the oil cooler since I don't currently have one. I do have a sensor there for the oil pressure port but I am going to T off of it. And I am pretty sure I know where I am going to drill and tap the pan, on the top as far back as I can get. Thanks again for the reply.