? for those who have done a 5 speed swap

93GTP

I'm wondering if there are any differences between the firewall plates of a 91-93 auto and manual? I'm referring to the removable plate that the brake booster is in and the clutch push rod feeds through. I'm doing a 5 speed conversion on my 93 GTP and I'm hoping I don't need to swap the firewall plate.

I spent a few hours yesterday just getting the damn clutch/brake pedal bracket out of my 92 Z34. What a PITA that was!!

I'm wondering if there are any differences between the firewall plates of a 91-93 auto and manual? I'm referring to the removable plate that the brake booster is in and the clutch push rod feeds through. I'm doing a 5 speed conversion on my 93 GTP and I'm hoping I don't need to swap the firewall plate.

I spent a few hours yesterday just getting the damn clutch/brake pedal bracket out of my 92 Z34. What a PITA that was!!

To do it right you need the firewall plate, but some people have gotten away with out doing it.

Dammit, I was hoping that wasn't the case. Now I'll have to take the booster out of both cars too then. I figured they would have used common plates on the 91-93's whether standard or auto but I'm not surprised. Do you know this for sure? Have you seen both of them side by side?

Dammit, I was hoping that wasn't the case. Now I'll have to take the booster out of both cars too then. I figured they would have used common plates on the 91-93's whether standard or auto but I'm not surprised. Do you know this for sure? Have you seen both of them side by side?

I have pics somewhere around here. If you go to http://www.brian89gp.com I think he has pics showing the different plates. I know he went back and swapped in the 5speed plate. Ben (Vegeta) who runs 60V6 I know has had to put the plate in when he did his swap.

I have pics somewhere around here. If you go to http://www.brian89gp.com I think he has pics showing the different plates. I know he went back and swapped in the 5speed plate. Ben (Vegeta) who runs 60V6 I know has had to put the plate in when he did his swap.

Yea, I've had a look at the pics Brian has up. Although in his case he was putting a 5 speed in a 94 GP which does have a different plate (he had to swap brake boosters as well). But going by Invasions comment above and what you say Ben had to do I guess the plates are indeed different. I'm doing this job the right way and swapping the plates even if it is a PITA.

i know i have a different plate because it is a 96 but i just made the hole square and installed it.

i screwed up and ended up welding a piece of steel and making the shaft longer

I replaced the plate on mine, but only after I heard a horror story of trying to make it work with the automatic plate. In retrospect, if you're able, it would be a lot easier to cut out the section of the manual plate that has the special hole, and cut out the matching piece of the automatic plate, and put the new one in. Unless you've got the ability to get in there with a die grinder and cut it out, but don't go too big, or you will have to replace it.