Security light on while driving?

lazytik

Hi.

So today, while driving, my "SECURITY" light came on on the dash. I took it easy, driving slowly, low RPMs, etc.... Then, it turned off automatically.... WTF? Did the previous owner perhaps mess up the wires so the SECURITY light comes on instead of the CHECK ENGINE?

Anyone else have this issue? I'm afraid my car is starting to give me trouble....always have to be careful. Which might not be a bad thing, if I was actually sure wtf is going on.

Help?

Thanks.

I had mine come on before, but this was along with the ABS light, and power window randomly not working- turned out those problems were just a lose connection on the positive aux terminal from the battery.

Simplest thing to do is clean both sides of the resistor pellet on the key (preferably with rubbing alcohol.) If the key's getting "long in the tooth" then it doesn't hurt to get another one made.

If the SECURITY light comes on while you're driving down the road, you're in better shape than if it comes on when you first start the car :wink: but you should still clean the resistor pellet anyway.

The procedure I outlined is a cheap and simple fix for your ailing VATS "reader."

Sometimes I have sit for a few minutes in my car before the key works. Damn VATS.
It'll probably take less time to install the "resistor pack" I describe how to make than it does for you to sit and wait for your car to cooperate :lol: ...

Thanks guys...that scared the sh** outta me because it came on when I was trying to merge. I dunno what is going on with my car...all I know is that problems keep occuring.

Lets start with Saturday:

battery dead....

car making fast knocking noise while accelerating....

CV joints....pretty bad.

Sunday, Monday, luckily nothing, although my car did jerk at the light

Tuesday....VATS is going bad.

ARGH!

get this... my 01 malibu the security light went on, stayed on then went away and i never saw it again. But it doesnt have VATS sooooo it is very mysterious on that as well.

turn the radio up louder... or put a picture or something on the dash over the light if u see it again :lol: that's what i'm doing :wink:

get this... my 01 malibu the security light went on, stayed on then went away and i never saw it again. But it doesnt have VATS sooooo it is very mysterious on that as well.

turn the radio up louder... or put a picture or something on the dash over the light if u see it again :lol: that's what i'm doing :wink:

Totally different system. Supposedly there's a proximity reader that reads the "composition" of the key. There's some long elaborate "training" procedure to train your car to recoginse your key. I say "supposedly" because both of my new cars have this system (Passlock) and when I went and had keys made at Wal-Mart, the new keys started each car on the first try without incident :shrug: ...

"
Sometimes I have sit for a few minutes in my car before the key works. Damn VATS.
It'll probably take less time to install the "resistor pack" I describe how to make than it does for you to sit and wait for your car to cooperate :lol: ...

This is true.. :lol: But I've come to love my car's little quirks

Totally different system. Supposedly there's a proximity reader that reads the "composition" of the key. There's some long elaborate "training" procedure to train your car to recoginse your key. I say "supposedly" because both of my new cars have this system (Passlock) and when I went and had keys made at Wal-Mart, the new keys started each car on the first try without incident :shrug: ...

Yeah I had an extra key made for my wallet ( I enjoy locking myself out all the time :oops: ) but yeah, it was fine... worked on the first try.. I never use that key though, I use the original... very mysterious..oh well