front wheel bearing

dfenc

I Think my front wheel bearing is Worn because i got a sound from the drive train and i can feel it into the Steering Wheel is this a big Job to change it?????? someone told me there a Seal bearing and we need a tool to pull it out? and i got also another trouble when i put my transaxle in reverse the shifting is very rough ......!

thanks for your answer

Do you get the vibration at a certain speed, and it gets worse if you turn either left or right? I did a front bearing change about 7 times on my car. The 2 major tools you need are a 2 jaw puller, and a 30?mm socket for the center nut. ALso you'll need a T60 socket for the brake caliper bracket, and an impact wrench. Also PATIENCE!

It's a long story, but basically I replaced the wrong side, then I did the correct side with a spare wheel bearing from a friend that I THOUGHT was good, which turned out bad too. Then I replaced the other side with a used one and that was bad too! Then I put one of my original ones back on, thinking I must have had just ONE bad, turns out that was bad too! Then I installed two more that I pulled from a junkyard and they wer (finally) both good! By the time I got the good ones established, I was doing the jon in about 30 minutes, but it still was a pain in the back! I noticed that both went bad right after I changed out my steering rack, and I was driving for 2 days with the front end unaligned! THat must have done it.

If it goes away while turning right, odds are 3 to 1 it's the right bearing!

I've only had 2 go bad and I own (and work on) countless W-bodies. :)

On my wife's '88, it went bad, REAL bad (almost grinding) and I replaced it with a low mileage one off a 96 Monte Carlo and that fixed the problem.

On my '89, I hit a curb and the hub would howl above 35mph.

Strangely, after replacing a front inner tierod, I eyeballed the alignment. With the new "alignment" the hub is now quiet.

I think hubs just going bad all of a sudden isn't that common.