Strange whining when accelerating

Vampyre73

There seems to be a high-pitched whining sound whenever I accelerate, both while driving and if I rev in neutral. It just started in the past few days. Tranny fluid is fine (filter/fluid changed at 80k or so, 110k now). Power steering fluid is fine, and it doesn't sound like that one. I've had one of those go bad before. Anyone have an idea? If I can't figure out I'm bringing it to my mech for diagnosis.

water pump bearings? It would be a super cheap fix if you did it yourself...I know mine made a ton of noise.

Also, if it does it only with the A/C off, its the compressor clutch

i had the same problem. pretty soon my charge light came on and after the alternator was replaced it stopped.
I replaced the alternator not long after I acquired the car, approx 2 years ago. Could it go that quickly?

i had the same problem. pretty soon my charge light came on and after the alternator was replaced it stopped.
I replaced the alternator not long after I acquired the car, approx 2 years ago. Could it go that quickly?

anything could go out pretty quick, defective, or somthing, but its most likley the altenator, my dads silverado made the same sound and it went out

The alternator could definitely go that quick, and they do (sometimes even after 7 or 8 months.)

I'm in the "water pump" camp on this one. If the alternator bearings were failing, they'd seize up on you in a matter of minutes. The water pump will go a bit longer, but I don't recommend driving it anymore until you replace the pump.

Just to be on the safe side, grab the largest, longest screwdriver you have, start the motor, set the blade of the screwdriver on the alternator's case, and put the end of the handle up to your ear. Now try the same thing on the water pump. For a reference, try it on the valve cover. Compare which sounds the loudest, and there's your culprit...

The alternator could definitely go that quick, and they do (sometimes even after 7 or 8 months.)

I'm in the "water pump" camp on this one. If the alternator bearings were failing, they'd seize up on you in a matter of minutes. The water pump will go a bit longer, but I don't recommend driving it anymore until you replace the pump.

Just to be on the safe side, grab the largest, longest screwdriver you have, start the motor, set the blade of the screwdriver on the alternator's case, and put the end of the handle up to your ear. Now try the same thing on the water pump. For a reference, try it on the valve cover. Compare which sounds the loudest, and there's your culprit...

Disco, I tried the screwdriver trick, bt can't determine which is making more noise. They both sound pretty normal I would think, no obviously loud or different sounds. The whine sounds like it is coming from the serpentine belt area. I know I have to replace the belt soon, as its pretty worn. Could this possibly be the source? I was trying to wait until I picked up an underdrive pulley before changing the belt out.

if the bearings in the belt tensioner are starting to go out, that would cause the same kind of noise you are describing. Try the screw-driver trick on that part too.

The other thing it COULD be, is that noise is very typical of a drive-chain problem, often heard in Quad-4 engines, Saturn engines, and my old 2.8 (went through 3 extremely cheap timing sets, before I spent the money and got a GOOD set).

--Dave.

power steering pump. does it sound ike you have a supercharger in it when you accelerate harder?

Sort of. The noise itself climbs in pitch and volume in direct correlation to the acceleration itself. I haven't had a chance to even think about it the past few days, but tommorrow morning I am going to find out what it is or take it to the mech for an answer.

I'm still gonna bet that it's the belt tensioner - I'd really look into that one if I were you - there's a guy runnin' 'round here with a truck that sounds like the power steering is going bad, but it's actually the tensioner (after looking at it in detail I found the problem for him)

--Dave.