• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prospeeder

• Kalgorn

• runt

• jeremy

i used Rubbing Compound, made them considerable shinier, then i

used Mothers, they made them extremely shiny, u had a pro do urs,

look at me, i sat in my front yard and did it, it was soooo time consuming, and boring

Wet sanding, 220 till all the machine groves are mostly gone, then move up to 400 for a while, till ur satisfied, then 800, 1000, then some rubbing compound, all just do till ur satisfied, then the aluminum polish, i just did by hand. And there it is! thanks everyone, i put so many hours into these wheels im so happy they turned out so great

try to get some Sikkens 2 stage paint. I like how it lays out. I used the black base coat on the x-laces then cleared the whole wheel. you know what though, you might want to try to scuff a little coarser grit on the lip before you clear it to make the clearcoat stick better. thats why they got those grooves. :bash: now I tell you :roll:

if you lay it down right it will be shiny. Mine stay shiny and clean up easy. I dont have to sit there all day and polish them either. the dust just wipes right off.

if you scuff them in a circular motion with the wheel, it should make the paint stick and the shine come through. Its all in the prep. use prep-solvent from the paint store. this will strip all the wax and oil off the wheel from your finger prints and stuff, then only handle them with disposible gloves on.

powder coat them, it'll still be cheaper then aftermarket rims. The place by me would coat it in clear and wipe it off the lace part while still hot, and then let it cool. Then they would apply silver/copper/gunmetal color tot he lace part while the lip is taped off and bake them again. easy as shit

Heres a Sneak peak, there still need another coat, clear, and its still all taped up

100_1066.jpg

100_1067.jpg

100_1068.jpg

100_1069.jpg

Its kina dusty lookin cause its the light from the aluminum being so poreous and the paint lookin poreous, the centercaps will be black also

Duplicolor Automotive paint super high gloss

might be till the end of the month till i mount them at all, because im gonna paint the calipers red but i need money, so i gotta wait till the end of the month

:( i fucked up a wheel, i had only let the paint cure 24 hours, and i got too excited, so i took the tape off of one, and then went the paint, that was a real moral breaker, now i gotta somehow repair the damage to that wheel, there not cured yet, u can still smell the paint, and what came off was soft, so fuck, i screwed myself, i feel like a dumbass after all my hard work, well, this is definatly a major setback, i hope that paint really sticks to that aluminum.....

umm, quite a bit, like, all around the edges it came off :( i puts like 4 coats of paint on and 2 of clear, its obviously gotta dry alot longer, how long did u let urs dry C-Bad? i used Duplicolor Auto Paint, i cleaned them as best i could!

no no, i didnt, i had tape only on the polished area, but paint got on the tape, so it kinda i guess made a bridge, and it caught the paint and it wasnt all the way cured and it went by by

its either not cured, or im screwd and that stupid paint wont adhere to alumunum, cause i can scrape the paint off with my finger nail :?

How thick were the coats you put on? And how long did you wait between coats? Four really thin coats over an extended period of time would have been the best because you allow the previous coat to dry most of the way before applying another.