leak in back floor

89Cutlass

I have this weird problem i notice its damp and wet under the back floor mats but there is no sign of water leaking from the doors. Its like the water is coming up from the ground. I noticed to plug like things under the car. Im not sure were to check were the leak would be coming from, anyone have any ideas ??

This sounds kinda like a problem I had. I never did figure out exactly where the water was coming from, but everytime it rained I got water in the back on the floor. Sometimes quite a bit. I did notice that when I took out my back seat it was wet under there too. I replaced my weatherstripping on my doors and trunk but it didn't help. Then I tried caulking around my back side windows (2-door), my back window and anywhere else that looked like it could use some. The problem has either slowed or gone away. I'm not exactly sure because I drilled a drain hole in each side of my back floor pan because I was sick of getting a gallon (seriously) of water on each side from a hard rain. Nothing ever in the front though.

I've seen the seals on the rear 1/4 windows go bad. That would be my guess as to where the water is coming from.

he said it was ''wet under the back floor mats'' and ''Its like the water is coming up from the ground''

Somehow I don't think the 1/4 panel windows are leaking if that's an accurate description...

There are those drain things, I have no idea what they are/were used for, but it's definately a possibility that they're leaking if the only source of water is from below...and they're in the general vicinity you're describing, 89Cutlass.

If you have the time and patience, I would remove the back seat, rear door jamb trim and pull the carpet up to see if those drain things are the culprit. You could probably test it with a glass of water and see if they drain or something...and If so, I'd imagine that some JB Weld would do the trick of sealing them up. BTW, you might want to push the front seat(s) up as much as possible to give the carpet some clearance, I believe the drains are right under the front seat when they're all the way back...

hope this helps...

-MaD-

Guest Anonymous

The water comes in around the 1/4 window, runs down behind the trim and ends up on the floor in the back. I have seen this in one of MY cars. The 1/4 window seal was the problem in MY car.

:D would that apply to the ''vent glass'' thing in sedans (or whatever it's called).

I'm sorry that I thought triangular windows were called ''quarter panels'' as well, geez, pardon-:D-me, :D:D:D:D:D

hehe...

-MaD-

Guest Anonymous

If you take all the trim off around the quarter window it should be fairly simple to get the window out. Most that I've seen just have a couple of tabs bolted against them to hold them in place. The seal for it is the same stuff used for the windshield. It's a black, tarlike seal that comes in rope form.