turbo goin out!!?? *getting a rebuild*

futuretgper

what should i do if the turbo is bad (pretty sure it is)  

1. 1. what should i do if the turbo is bad (pretty sure it is)

• buy a used turbo (t-25)
    • send it to be rebuilt
    • sit on it and buy a jeff m kit eventually
    • sit on it even longer and buy a bow tie block and a giant snail!

more questions....haha.....even though nobody seems to have answers!!

i was chating over aim with a fellow TGP owner.....although he hasn't posted here in quite awhile.........anyway i was discussing my smoking issue with him and he said that if they didn't machine the bearings within very tight clearances that oil would come by and that would be my problem....but i thought that there was a bearing.....and a seal and he said the bearing is the seal....but i remember seeing a corregated cylinder inside the center section which i thought was the bearing.....because when i went back to the shop that did my rebuild i watched the guy change the seal which was just a small ring that was pushed in by hand......so was the guy i was talking to wrong.....in that its not the bearing that doubles as a seal......but could he be right that if the bearing isn't "perfect" it will leak more than neccessary oil into the turbine side....at least leak more than normal toward the seal??

anyone have any answers??

thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• futuretgper

• Jeff M

• Garrett Powered

• TGPilot

Ok now back to helping you 8) :lol:

I am going to guess the turbo rebuild was good and try another idea I heard from a few guys 8) First I need to get a "yes" or "no" answer, did you replace the vacuum modulator on your tranny???

Yea I know I was ragging on you to do this but now I hope you did not as this could be a source of a fluid leak that is causing your smoking. Under vacuum the engine sucks on the vacuum modulator and if the modulator diaphragm is bad/cracked/leaking allowing tranny fluid into the vacuum line then this could be a source of fluid for your smoking, even when under boost as the oil takes a little bit to burn out of the engine, exhaust but more importantly the cat which is designed to collect things like this.....well unburned fuel but still.

Other thing is to check to see if you have a vacuum leak/boost leak into the crankcase, easy test, pull off that rubber hose that goes into your front valve cover and with the engine running rev it up and hold your finger over the valve cover hole, if there is a vacuum trying to hold your finger then there is an intake leak into the crankcase that will be a boost leak when in boost that could be pressurizing things and blowing oil into the engine and turbo from the crankcase.

So, that about covers it for now, answer questions above please!!!!

Jeff M

yeah i did replace the TVM....i got the adjustable like you said (dual red stripe).....i never fooled with it much cause when i did it didn't seem to change anything, i dunno??!?!! how can i check to find out if the diaphram is bad!! and do the adjustables break easily or why did you hope i hadn't put it on??

anyway ill go out and check the valve cover for vacum!!

why would there be vacum when you rev.....bad PCV?? that would pressurize the oil pan and valve covers wouldn't it??

i just went out and tried pulling the hose off the valve cover and reving and didnt notice any air moving in (vacum) or blowing out!! so....what the shit!!?? :lol: damn smokey crap!!

oh and i just checked the end play......its deffinately getting worse!!! like enough to bother me!!

yeah i did replace the TVM....i got the adjustable like you said (dual red stripe).....i never fooled with it much cause when i did it didn't seem to change anything' date=' i dunno??!?!! how can i check to find out if the diaphram is bad!! and do the adjustables break easily or why did you hope i hadn't put it on??

anyway ill go out and check the valve cover for vacum!!

why would there be vacum when you rev.....bad PCV?? that would pressurize the oil pan and valve covers wouldn't it??[/quote']

Ummm :roll: :lol: , first I was hoping you still had the old one on as....well old things wear out :!: and was hoping to find your smoking problem from an old worn out/failed TVM. When you are running out of ideas trying to fix something (like your smoking if you forgot :lol: ) its nice to have some possibilities from anywhere, but I guess not in this case.

As for an adjustable VM helping firm up the shifts, yea once you adjust it :roll: its not a guarantee but you take what help you can get to make things last, especially the expensive things like a tranny, less you want a new one sooner than later :lol: The idea is to adjust the TVM to raise the tranny line pressures and firm up your soft shift and to add more pressure to the holding of the clutches once engaged. Like I said in some email or PM or post long time ago, there is a little screw head in the vacuum port end of the TVM, use a very small flat head screwdriver and turn the screw in a few turns, then test drive, continue to screw in till the up-shifts are as firm as you can get without the down-shifts hanging/clunking (most noticed when cold). Down-shifts are when you are coming to a stop and the tranny drops from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st :wink:

As for the vacuum in your crankcase, lets just find out if you have this, and the PCV just needs to be done since it has the same old-ass oil in it your dead turbo had :lol: so just get-er-done!

Jeff M

i just went out and tried pulling the hose off the valve cover and reving and didnt notice any air moving in (vacum) or blowing out!! so....what the shit!!?? :lol: damn smokey crap!!

oh and i just checked the end play......its deffinately getting worse!!! like enough to bother me!!

i already checked for vacum.......none

Get a $1000 bucks saved up :P

Actually it would not hurt to slap in a new oil seal on the turbo first. did anyone try the gapless one yet? Don't hurt to try.

oh i have 1000$.....what do you want me to spend it on......a new turbo?? i might but i still wanna know why this one is smoking still!! it bothers me to no end!!!! :evil:

i already took the turbo back once and they replaced my oil seal (even though there was nothing wrong with it)!!

anyway......i dunno!!

oh, the hard line where the oil return (soft blue/flexable) conects.....i might try that.....im thinking about pulling the engine this winter and just taking the engine apart and cleaning and replacing everything that looks like it needs it!! maby throw on some new gear in the spring while its out!

i hate cars sometimes!!

Its better to get a Plan B motor ready in advance so all you have to do is swap it in when you need it. Check things out during the swap. Then rebuild yours with all the toughest,lightest parts and take your time with it. Have it on an engine stand in the garage for a good 6 months.

if i do it ill put new interals in....and ive got acess to a engine hoist...not sure i really want to.....i don't have any engine manuals or anything, so i need to get my hands on some TGP specific literature so i know torque specs and such!

• 1 month later...