turbo goin out!!?? *getting a rebuild*

futuretgper

what should i do if the turbo is bad (pretty sure it is)  

1. 1. what should i do if the turbo is bad (pretty sure it is)

• buy a used turbo (t-25)
    • send it to be rebuilt
    • sit on it and buy a jeff m kit eventually
    • sit on it even longer and buy a bow tie block and a giant snail!

Just got off the phone with my former emplyee, he says when he worked at elite they had good results with that shop you listed, so if you want it done local, call them and get some prices and a turn-around time, you know the cost should be max at $350 based on $400 for the same plus the polish and ceramic coated turbine housing, so I would guess around $300, or less if you are lucky!!

Goodbye! :lol:

Jeff M

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• futuretgper

• Jeff M

• Garrett Powered

• TGPilot

you know the cost should be max at $350 based on $400 for the same plus the polish and ceramic coated turbine housing, so I would guess around $300, or less if you are lucky!!

Jeff M

That is for a rebuild or upgrade? Sorry I have not followed the thread from start to finish...but I did see his updated thread title for rebuild. :wink: 8)

you know the cost should be max at $350 based on $400 for the same plus the polish and ceramic coated turbine housing, so I would guess around $300, or less if you are lucky!!

Jeff M

That is for a rebuild or upgrade? Sorry I have not followed the thread from start to finish...but I did see his updated thread title for rebuild. :wink: 8)

Rebuild!

Jeff M

I had all the same questions too. No luck finding a rebuild kit or parts and did not trust sending it anywhere. It was really difficult, but I murdered my wallet when I dropped it with Oregon Fuel Injection. They finally took it after like the 3rd time I talked to them. I had to get Jim Messler (turbo pro from around here) to call them and get Garrett on line. Luckily they were able to find one of these dinosaur turbos for me but it was the last one, I guess and my core was no good so they may or may not be able to help others.

Anyone ever bought parts for the t-25? I am trying to find bearings and a compressor wheel so I can try and rebuild one.I guess keep bugging Garrett for parts. This one will be practice any way.

Jeff, If I wanted to make one thats like your t-3, I could try to order some stuff from OFI.

Never rebuilt one myself, so will be fun.... lots of fun if it works!

My goal is to buy another black&tan for cheap and try for lightweight and big HP and ETs . This one will have no sunroof. Much lighter.

I had all the same questions too. No luck finding a rebuild kit or parts and did not trust sending it anywhere. It was really difficult, but I murdered my wallet when I dropped it with Oregon Fuel Injection. They finally took it after like the 3rd time I talked to them. I had to get Jim Messler (turbo pro from around here) to call them and get Garrett on line. Luckily they were able to find one of these dinosaur turbos for me but it was the last one, I guess and my core was no good so they may or may not be able to help others.

Anyone ever bought parts for the t-25? I am trying to find bearings and a compressor wheel so I can try and rebuild one.I guess keep bugging Garrett for parts. This one will be practice any way.

Jeff, If I wanted to make one thats like your t-3, I could try to order some stuff from OFI.

Never rebuilt one myself, so will be fun.... lots of fun if it works!

My goal is to buy another black&tan for cheap and try for lightweight and big HP and ETs . This one will have no sunroof. Much lighter.

All sounds good to me :D , I know a few here that might not be on line all the time to say the details but they got rebuilt kits for a T25 off ebay for a good price, as for parts, hope that a shop can get you those/compressor wheel. Limited Engineering is tops when it comes to knowing their beans too, not sure their pricing scale, others listed below are very good too. Also if you look to do a wheel upgrade, you got to hone out the housing to make it fit Would I recommend a T28 in place?, maybe, need to get a scan tool and watch the knock retard, wide band would be nice too, but I know a few that did some scanning running a T28 and was able to run ok, with the speed density system, it can do some compensation for the air being cooler with a more efficient compressor wheel, to the limits of the injectors and that is where I would say if someone has over 100k miles on their injectors (or less and the original injectors) and fuel pumps that's not a good idea at all :shock: , especially those with some injectors running low ohms as the injector driver will not have the strength to get them open all that is needed when the T28 is pushing some air :twisted: . Then if you do a search here and at the other TGP site, you will find much mention of the turbine side being an issue with more air flow either stock or with heads and/or a turbo upgrade, and no I don’t got time to recap that long topic again :lol: , its all there in a search, actually many other savvy guys lent to the info contained in those posts 8) , not just me piece :) .

Garrett is still lame after all these years, having all of 4 guys manning the phones for orders and tech help :evil: , that to cover the world calling at their door, dumb :roll: !! So I would either try Limited Engineering or Turbonetics or Precision Turbo as they are big enough customers of Garrett to get the orders they place!!!!!! :!: ....not so with the little guys you are dealing with and others!! As for another TGP setup, wait until you lift a driver’s seat, might weight more than you :lol: . My setup for now is a T3 Super 60 for around 330 hp, most people have not driven 350 to 450 hp front wheel drives, those that have will tell you or show you just how much fun it isn’t to have your front tires spin so damn easy and at 30 to 70 mph, thank god we don’t change lanes like a Chrysler torque steer would but some fishtailing if you consider a RWD that spins its tires slides on a straight take off, they fishtail some and we fishhead, no better word I can give it :oops: , I am a bit tired but the taxes are done waiting for the tax man to say when we meet :D . So anyways, I think 330 hp for a daily driver that goes to the track on the weekends is what the majority wants, some even if they don’t know, always someone that wants more but 330 hp from a good matched turbo and some great flowing heads will be very enjoyable and frequently used setup.

Jeff M

Jeff are you thinking this package will be done this year or early next. Cause I want to do some work on the TGP this winter, I was planning on getting a chip from you, but if you are thinking this will be done this winter I might just wait and go for the gusto with the package. Just started a new job that will allow a little extra spending this winter.

Ken

Jeff are you thinking this package will be done this year or early next. Cause I want to do some work on the TGP this winter, I was planning on getting a chip from you, but if you are thinking this will be done this winter I might just wait and go for the gusto with the package. Just started a new job that will allow a little extra spending this winter.

Ken

The plan, and the ways things are going, should be able to finish warm weather testing here, then move onto cold tuning this winter, which would fall into place for anyone with a real winter beater allowing them to work on their TGP and have it ready for next spring. I will know more specifics when the time gets nearer!

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
thank god we don’t change lanes like a Chrysler torque steer would

Jeff M

lol aint that the truth! my GTS torque steers like NUTS even after i put the equal lenght axles in :? it "fisheads" :lol: so bad when 14psi hits in 1st gear and 2nd....HOLD ON!

so your kit is gonna run new heads, turbo, injectors and a chip to match....is that everything (<----hope that doesn't sound sarcastic)? how about a stage 2 with a cam on top of everything else oh and a tuned chip to cap it off!!! eh eh :wink:

now i just wanna put this thing in storage and wait for the kit...

all elbow nudging aside how much are you looking to charge for the kit once its done??!! cause i gotta know how much i have to save/make for next spring then!!

im gonna drive down to burnsville and drop my turbo off tommoro i think (i pulled it last night, i forgot how much fun that whole procedure is!!)....if its only 300-400 to rebuild i wont care ill just sell it once that 330hp kit comes out!! you gotta start thinking of a name for that kit....something to go with the topgun theme or something haha...i dunno....something!!

oh yeah thanks for checking around for me on the rebuild!! always good to hear good things before i spend money!!

ps im buying wheels guys.....i could resist 18x8s....haha i know 18s but they only came in 18s or 19s and i really like them and i got a good price on em....oh and t/a kdw's to wrap em in!!

Thanks Jeff.

Then I will just wait and keep me fingers crossed. Please keep us updated on this. I would much rather wait and have the TGP kick some major ricer butt. If I can get the TGP up to the 330hp :devil: or more then I moght just hold off on buying a newer toy. It would save me a some money in the long run, no car payment. I'll stick some $$$ under the mattress for the kit. :wink:

Ken

so i pulled my turbo off and its being rebuilt right now....i also checked the oil return and that wasn't the problem.....looks perfect still!! i also bought a 1g bov from a friend for 5 dollars!! :lol: just need to dig up a flange (or make one) and ill be set!!

so the company i sent my turbo to finaly got word back to me today about my turbo......ITS SHOT!! they said a certain bearing surface or something is too far gone to be rebuilt and have a properly working turbo!!! so they said i need a new center section....525 dollars!! ishy!! plus the 300 for the rebuild stuff!! i don't wanna spend 825 on a POS t25 hahaha...so i had them stop working on it and as of now i only owe 30 bucks...so im trying to decide what i want to do!! if its gonna cost me that much i wanna buy a slightly larger turbo!! or just put this car away for the winter and start saving money!!

ps is there any way i could go in there and look at it and know they aren't lieing to me!!! cause i guess they could be trying to make a buck off of a guy who doesn't know the technical insides of turbo!

how in the hell does a turbo go out after 39K? If i were youy i'd jsut get a T28 BB

yea, thats wierd isnt it, id say alot of flooring it, making a ton of boost then suddenly letting of the gas, and not letting the car warm up or cool down, that would kill a turbo pretty quick

it smoked right away when i got it.....just ever so slightly and i didn't know enough to have it rebuilt right away.....the car sat for 3 years without being started and it was left outside (covered) so it saw the same oil for 3 years and -45F to 101F.....i think that has something to do with it! i was late on my oil change....oh well what done is done....im looking for a used TGP t25 now so if anyone has one for sale tell me!! or ill just put the car in storage and wait for the jeffm kit.......im gonna buy a winter 90-94z24, i want a 5 speed....then i want to drop in a 3800(n/a) and eventually turbo that for something that really cooks!! so im not too depressed about the car....im just glad it was at the end of the summer!!

hey jeff is this supposed to look busted out and jagged like that/ is this normal......it looks like the part where i drew the line should be extended up there instead of a hole!! but i don't know shit about these.....so.......what say you!!??

Im000069exp.jpg

hey jeff is this supposed to look busted out and jagged like that/ is this normal......it looks like the part where i drew the line should be extended up there instead of a hole!! but i don't know shit about these.....so.......what say you!!??

All the other center sections I have all look that way 8) so that is how they come from the factory. Good thing I checked the board as there is no emails from you on this :wink:

Jeff M

sorry it took me awhile to get a response back in here the computer room at our has was used as living space for the last week......anyway i took it to the rebuilder and they then said that i did need new wheels......but he said that the center seciton (new one) was good.....so i said i know it won't be as efficient as it would be with new wheels and everything but....just reuse them...and he didn't have a problem with that......so tuesday night i should be back on the road....now i just need to get my damn rke working and do something about the driver side door lock and ill be in very nice shape!!

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE* hey....so i got my turbo back in the car on monday....no play now and it runs again!! but.......the smoking didn't go away for long....it still smokes out the tails!!!!!! not nearly as bad but it does!!! and now the turbo is smoking......enough where if i drive for awhile then come to a smoke will start to come out of the driver side louvers!!!!! sombitch is smoking and i can't tell from where......i pulled my turbo blanky off and i pull over to look and its just smoking can't pinpoint it!!! is this a symptom of an internally "cooking: turbo or bad rebuild!??? im really starting to get annoyed here!!

only one good thing came this week.......i got my rke working!!!! hahaha resoldered every connection on the receiver and whabam.....she works!!

Good point by Prospeeder, really should not smoke after a rebuild, check the oil and coolant lines just to be sure. Anything is possible but not likely till you check other things out. You did a new turbo return oil line right?? Again, pull the o2 sensor, if its clean/no soot then not the engine blowing oil, have to be after the engine i.e. turbo exhaust side. If the o2 is sooty then either the engine (old PVC maybe) or the oil seal on the compressor side of the turbo though its not as common. We will get you through it, hang loose and don’t be too freaked yet :P , if we are lucky, an easy fix, if not you got a warranty at a local to get to shop though 8) !!

Jeff M

yeah.....i pulled the turbo out.....checked it and found a bunch of built-up burned oil at the lowest point on the turbo and upon further inspection (pulling the exhaust housing off) i found that there is alot of oil leaking into the housing....i called the place that gave me the rebuild and told them what i found and they said that it must be a bad seal and that i should bring in in for the free service (90 day warranty) i got with the initial rebuild....this really bugs me....i was supposed to go to rock falls raceway saturday mourning to put this baby through the quarter a few times!!

well this leak explain the smoke off the turbo and out the tails so i hope thats all i need to be back in "perfect" running order!!

p.s. jeff what do you mean by "soot" on the o2 like a coating of black....mine looks dull and grayish....dusty like!!

maby ill try to get a friend to take a pic of it for me.....since the digi cam my cuzin let me borrow for the last pic, didn't work worth an ass!!

and i did check all the oil lines and such and they don't appear to be leaking!! so im pretty sure ive found the culprit (bad seal)!!

*MORE UPDATE* so i took the turbo back to the place that rebuilt it last night and they said the seals were good but they put new ones in anyway.....so i go home and put the turbo in and it starts smoking right away! so im like F this...so i take it out and get to rippin on it.....and im practicing my launches......just pissed off about the whole situation.....so i get on it and i hear a pop and i just loose all power......im like oh i must have blown a coupling off somewhere.....so i get home and im looking with my flashlight and i cant see anything out of place so i park if for the night.....i get home today from school and check it out.....the coupling on the compressor popped off and the hose clamp must have fallen out but the pipe and coupler were still on the compressor outlet so it didn't look out of place........until i could see it in daylight!! so i took my moms car over to the place i was launching and sure enougth i found the clamp partialy flatened....but i salavaged it!!!

any way the car runs and hasn't been smoking today!! but im still worried its got other problems becuase of the way the car smoked when i first fired it up!! (same as it did before) anyway the verdict is still out but at least ill have a car to take to the drags this weekend!!

jeff m pm sent!!

*MORE UPDATE* so i took the turbo back to the place that rebuilt it last night and they said the seals were good but they put new ones in anyway.....so i go home and put the turbo in and it starts smoking right away! so im like F this...so i take it out and get to rippin on it.....and im practicing my launches......just pissed off about the whole situation.....so i get on it and i hear a pop and i just loose all power......im like oh i must have blown a coupling off somewhere.....so i get home and im looking with my flashlight and i cant see anything out of place so i park if for the night.....i get home today from school and check it out.....the coupling on the compressor popped off and the hose clamp must have fallen out but the pipe and coupler were still on the compressor outlet so it didn't look out of place........until i could see it in daylight!! so i took my moms car over to the place i was launching and sure enougth i found the clamp partialy flatened....but i salavaged it!!!

any way the car runs and hasn't been smoking today!! but im still worried its got other problems becuase of the way the car smoked when i first fired it up!! (same as it did before) anyway the verdict is still out but at least ill have a car to take to the drags this weekend!!

jeff m if you see this pm sent!!

*update (again)* the car still smokes.....it usually only smokes when i have the cutout opened up...which makes me think there may not be enough back pressure to to keep the seal seated (when the cutout is open)...but i would think there must be some way the oil isn't draining fast enought in conjuction with that...which is why it only gets somewhat better when i close it!! ive checked my oil return and i recently put in a new pcv valve and new oil and filter.....the only thing out of the ordinary and something im now suspecting of being a possible problem is ive noticed that the oil return pipe has oil on its outside...like slightly leaking....which makes me think that there is some pressure in the line to the oil pan....cuase the oil to slowly leak out the flexible oil return line at the top fitting!! or maby since i took out all the oil and coolant lines and put them back on the top fiting may be leaking some and if there is pressure in the line maby its forcing it out through the threads on that fitting???

so if you've made it through reading that....is there anyway i could check to see if there is any pressure or stoppage in the oil return line???