Low pressure side AC schrader valve... where?

Darkness

Ok, I got myself one of those retrofit 134 kits the other day. This morning before coming into work I got the old refrigerant vacuumed out and I am ready to install the new fittings and refrigerant. Everywhere I see warning signs and whatnot shouting that it is terrible to put the kit onto the high pressure side. This could result in anything from the system not charging properly, to the earth sliding into the sun.

So, I grab my manual, and it shows the schrader valve is sitting right up front beside the battery. Well, I located a valve in that general area, but only a high pressure adapter will fit it, not the low side adapter!

I ran outta time, so I drove in today, about an hour drive, with the heat index somewhere around the 105-110 degree mark, and I think all I need now is a slight basting and I'll go well with stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Can anyone tell me if the low pressure schrader valve is in a different spot on the turbo models, and if so, where it is!?! I brought the stuff with me to fill 'er up in the parking lot before the drive home.

Help is really appreciated. Thanks.

3.1L Turbo might be different, but on a n/a 3.1L the high pressure and low pressure are right next to one another. High pressure sits vertical and low pressure sits 90* to the inside, right near the battery.

Hmm. That might be. I'll have to move some stuff out of the way and dig in there a bit to find it. The one valve I did find was rather close to the turbo, so it was mighty hot in there when I tried the first time. It will cool down a bit while I work, so I'll give it another shot before I drive home.

Thanks.

Hmm. The low pressure side is the one on that sliver canister just beside the battery closer to the radiator.

I looked at those fill up kits at pep boys last show I went to, but I don't recall seeing oil included with that. The compresor will seize without oil. When they vacumed out the Freon they also took out the oil in it. Another thing you should worry about is the small inline filter that is in the pipe right beside the fender well, that should also be changed it's most likely full of small metal particles.

Here is how I did it. I replaced my compressor, that silver looking metal tube (don't know the name of it) filled it up with oil, and replaced the filter. Oh I also replaced the condenser with a smaller one so that I can mount the intercooler in the bumper. Got all AC Delco parts and they will waranty it as long as you replaced both compresor and silver looking canister at the same time for life. Went to an AC filler place checked for leak and filled up the system with 134. Works like a charm ..

On the other hand it did cost about 500 bucks for all the parts.

Hope this helps.

that silver looking metal tube (don't know the name of it)

That would be the reciever/dryer. You always want to replace that when you do a retrofit.

The compresser on the otherhand, you should just be able to drain and of the remaining oil from it and pour in the new oil and then reinstall it. I'm sure that's probably easier said than done.

Robby was right concerning the low pressure valve. I had to move the turbo blanket out of the way to really get to it. The kit that I had included oil, sealant and o-ring conditioner. Everything was pre-mixed in the cans for me.

I did the change in the parking lot before driving home, but couldn't post about it because my ISP was down.

I figure with 250k+ miles on the car, I could risk an inexpensive retrofit kit. I didn't want to put more money in parts into it than what the car is probably worth.

But, on the brightside, my AC is nice and cold now! I used 2 of the 3 cans of refrigerant, got my system pressured just a hair into the "yellow" warning zone, and it seems to be working great. Can't complain.

Thanks for all your input.

• 1 month later...