Sun damage

Supreme Cutlass

My dark blue car has spots from sun damage/ left I-don't-know-what's that look like they sat there and left a permanent spot. Is a repaint the only way I can fix it? or is there something that might be able to make it at least look better besides wax/ polish? How much does a full repain cost? :x

you're looking at a pretty penny to redo your cutlass' entire paint job unles you go with some crappy job like maaco. most everyone on this board will advise you to stay away from maaco.

So do you mean there is oxidation??

If so, you might as well try some polishing compund or something a little abrasive (look up on the Meguiar's website some of their numbered polishing compunds)

And try that first. It probably will not remove it all, but it isa worth a try depending on badly it is oxidies...maybe post a piucture or two so we know what we are working with :D

Compound will more than likely take that out with no problem. But the only problem with compound is, that if you use to much or are rubbing too hard, it will remove the paint completely. So its kind of a fine line but it will work.

I'm going to guess that fender will need paint, those other spots seem to be from huge gobs of tree sap or something taking the finish off...I'd try a compund first, but I can't guarantee it will fix the problem, but it definately is worth a try.

How much are you willing to spend to buy compound? There are different kinds - and prices vary between what you want.

That fender paint is shot, but use this stuff:

124a.jpg

here is what my hood used to look like from the sun:

125b.jpg

And it looks like this (not an over head shot but you can clearly see the blotches are gone):

20.jpg

Give it a try... it'll only set ya back 5 bucks.

I currently have a coat of wax on the car, do I need to take that off first?

if you are talking about the Nu finish, I dont think you have to because I still had wax on my car.

If you apply and wax or polish over another wax or polish, all that happens (what I've been told) is the old stuff it stripped when you put on the new stuff...so in other words, just put that nu-finish over whatever is on there now

i'd go with something meguiar's makes over nu finish. Regardless of which one you use, I think that oxidation will go away. That's pretty minor if you ask me.

that should probably work. sorry i forgot about replying to this post earlier. i'm at work right now so I don't have the time to go looking for exactly what I used on my friend's car before (not a W). I don't think it was a professional product they offer tho (cause they sell a lot of those) because I got it at Pep Boys.