'94+ rear brake upgrade (e-brake)

Guest TurboSedan

Chris A on the TGP forums (and used to be on the W-body list) told me once that he ran the 94+ cables and what he had to do was snap off a bracket off the bottom of the donor car, and used screws to attach it to the bottom of his (the bracket is spot-welded to the bottom).

I would like to see custom park brake cables made just for the purpose of the rear caliper upgrades, but that would be $300 or so!!!

A better upgrade still, would be custom rear knuckles to mount 2nd gen W-body rear calipers and park brake.

Glad it was helpful! :rocking: You sure scored a deal on those! I paid 6x as much. :cry:

Anyway, I need to update that page because I think 91-up (or maybe 90-up?) doesn't have the metal pipe that needs to be bent. I think your rubber hose is attached behind the strut like the 94-up while 88-90 the hose is attached in front of the strut.

I am about to do the same on my 90 Lumina but I am having a hell of a time around here trying to find the parts. What makes and models can I get the Calipers and Caliper brackets from? What is the complete story about the e-brake cable? Does anyone have a complete parts list? Thanks.

Well I wouldnt worry about it either, but in New York it is an inspectable item. This is also true in most states. From reading some of the other posts it seems that the stock brake cable can be used if it is routed behind the shock instead of in front of it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I got the park/e-brake to work with the 94+ rear brake upgrade without to much mods. I used the stock cables that were on my car. I just cut the springs that were on the ends of the cables, that hook to the caliper. They were not to short. Very easy.

STR

1991 Z34 Lumina

you know you can losen the cable underneith the drivers door? I had about 2 inches of room to spare! I just hooked up the cables to the calipers through the bracket, and then put the cables together under the door.

I'm just saying that are you guys trying to hook up these cables without losening them all first??? I used my stock cables just fine, and I had room to spare.

STR

yeah i was trying to hook them up without loosening them. i'm going to look at it again tomarrow. thanks for the help. so basically, anyone who does the '94+ rear brake upgrade should keep their factory e-brake cables, and cut the springs off the ends. then loosen the cable under the drivers door and hook the cables up to the calipers. is that right? then just adjust the equalizer? that's a whole lot simpler than trying to use '94+ cables!

joshua

That is right. But I just cut the springs alittle more than half off.

you know you can losen the cable underneith the drivers door? I had about 2 inches of room to spare! I just hooked up the cables to the calipers through the bracket, and then put the cables together under the door.

I'm just saying that are you guys trying to hook up these cables without losening them all first??? I used my stock cables just fine, and I had room to spare.

STR

What exactly do you mean about putting them together under the door?

I honestly didn't even try to use my stock cables because the entire assembly (not just the part that moves) seemed to be way too short.

Got any pics?

people, walk away from your computer and look under your car. where the two cables from the two rear tires join to the one cable going into the car. thats where you back off the cables to allow some slack. i had about 2 inches of extra room to play with! you'll never get any cables to fit if you dont do this.