Ah feck it! Tint @ Ziebart @ $129.99 w/lifetime guarantee!

genEus

Not to steal the thread, but since the topic of removing tint, and the difficulties involved in it were mentioned......what's it going to take to get the god awful tint the previous owner put on the back windows off my TGP? :shock:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genEus

• jeremy

• GnatGoSplat

• z34_nut

well be careful.

I think it can be done with that tint off from wal-mart. It worked GREAT. It dessolves the glue in about 5 minutes, and softens it up. I took a razor to an area away from the defroster lines. I made sure I soaked the tint from behind once I got a portion lifted. After that, as your pulling it, keep appling the solution to the seem you created. The whole piece of tint came off except for a very small portion at the bottom.

Anyone else seen the cops using meters now to check on tints? I'd love to get it done again.

around here they use a piece of paper, with different shades of gray. each shade has a percentage on it. When they put it behind the window, the look at what shade is not visable. This determines the amount of light being passed through.

So I wasn't supposed to roll down the windows for 3 days, right? I didn't roll down my window at any tolls for a day, just opened my door, which was awkward. Then the next day I also got by, but on the third day I rolled down my window to pay in a parking garage. Later on I noticed that there is about 5mm of film that got peeled back at the very bottom of the glass. The car stood in direct sunlight for two straight days so I don't know how another day would've made that much difference in how well the tint was glued, so I don't want to think that rolling down my window was the cause of this tiny peel-back. It's barely noticeable but I'm afraid if I don't do something now it'll keep peeling it back more and more...

So, should I:

a) Take a razor blade and carefully cut that tiny piece? It wil be completely unnoticeable

B) Take clear nail polish and attempt to glue that tiny slice back?

c) Take the car back to Ziebart and ask them to fix it?

Thanks

Same here. Lots of people breaking the law. I am too. We're not allowed below 35% on the front sides, but I didn't care.

yeah i know that feeling i know someone with 5% all around and 20% on the windshield lol i have 20% on the driver doors and 10% on the back windows no tickets for me 8)

So I wasn't supposed to roll down the windows for 3 days, right? I didn't roll down my window at any tolls for a day, just opened my door, which was awkward. Then the next day I also got by, but on the third day I rolled down my window to pay in a parking garage. Later on I noticed that there is about 5mm of film that got peeled back at the very bottom of the glass. The car stood in direct sunlight for two straight days so I don't know how another day would've made that much difference in how well the tint was glued, so I don't want to think that rolling down my window was the cause of this tiny peel-back. It's barely noticeable but I'm afraid if I don't do something now it'll keep peeling it back more and more...

So, should I:

a) Take a razor blade and carefully cut that tiny piece? It wil be completely unnoticeable

B) Take clear nail polish and attempt to glue that tiny slice back?

c) Take the car back to Ziebart and ask them to fix it?

Thanks

I'd do either a or b....if you do c they might void your warantee for some dumb reason because you rolled down your window before you were supposed to, however it is your call.

Since I'm cheap I would probably tryo to glue it back so it doesn't contiune to peel.

....if you do c they might void your warantee for some dumb reason because you rolled down your window before you were supposed to, however it is your call.

Well they don't have to know I did that, now do they? :wink: I mean, I can come back in a month or so

the ziebart around here has a 10 day deal ...

but they told me if i rolled down my windows its my ass not theres.

They are talking about forming bubbles and shit like that ...i'd just take a razor blade to that 5mm and go on with your life ...

jeremy ... you are the #1 asshole shesh :lol:

Yeah take it back a week later and get them to fix it.

I really dont think it should peel after a couple of days.

Have you driven the car at night (highway) yet? I found that 20% was as dark as I would ever want to go at night.. 32% on the sides would proabably be just perfect.

I just discovered a couple days ago that I have 2 pieces on my rear window. :bash: Was washing the inside when it started to peel. It still looks fine, mainly noticable from teh inside if I point it out. I think that eventually the defrost probably takes a toll on it over time.

geneus, where your from in NY state? I live near Buffalo in Amherst and the cops have all the time in the world to mess with this type of BS. I'm still on the fence with tinting my Grand Prix...I've been ticketed in the Cutlass(5% back,20%rear sides, 30% front sides) and my X was ticketed in her Sunfire...goodluck