Ah feck it! Tint @ Ziebart @ $129.99 w/lifetime guarantee!

genEus

OK guys, so what should I do?

Here's directly from the NYS DMV site:

What are the laws in NYS about tinted vehicle windows?

Answer

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law. Request form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genEus

• jeremy

• GnatGoSplat

• z34_nut

Wow, sounds like you're not allowed to have anything below 70% tint, not 30%.

Tint is measured in light transmittance, not how much is blocked, and NYS laws want 70% light transmittance. I don't know of any tint that light. Sounds like in NYS you're asking for trouble with any tint on the front sides at all.

I would look into the exemption... or just break the law and hope you don't get in trouble.

Wow, sounds like you're not allowed to have anything below 70% tint, not 30%.

Tint is measured in light transmittance, not how much is blocked, and NYS laws want 70% light transmittance. I don't know of any tint that light. Sounds like in NYS you're asking for trouble with any tint on the front sides at all.

I would look into the exemption... or just break the law and hope you don't get in trouble.

That's crazy, I see people with tinted windows all around!! What the hell!! :cuss:

It's not like they will throw you in jail, absolute worst case is you get a ticket and a fine. No points even.

Well, yeah, you don't even get a fine here as long as you take it off... but that's kind of wasteful now, isn't it :dammit: Well, I'll talk to them tomorrow morning and ask them what I should do. They shouldn't really care how dark I go so they won't be biased, and I'm sure they've heard tons of stories and people's experiences... I'll ask to take a look at what I'm gonna get to see if it's even worth it at all... Stupid ass laws. :twisted:

I'm glad you found a place to get it done professionally. Hopefully they do the rear in 1 piece or at least to a really good job if they do 2 pieces. I paid $200 (CND) at Tint King and they did an awsome job. (This was on my old car) had 20% and it was just perfect. Good enough to block the sun during the day, but any darker and it would have been hard to see at night...

I did the back glas on my blazer, and we did the windows in my buddy's truck..

I helpf if you want to get the side glass out. lay it flat and it is simple after that. mabey thats more work then what you want to do.

I did the back glas on my blazer, and we did the windows in my buddy's truck..

I helpf if you want to get the side glass out. lay it flat and it is simple after that. mabey thats more work then what you want to do.

Trucks= square

Have you ever tried the back window of a coupe? I have... and was unsuccessful at that.

Went with 32% side windows, 22% rear.

Guy said 70% is what's legal but that's unnoticeable, so the lightest tint they even HAD was 51%... but he said he's never heard anyone get a ticket from 32%, so that's what I went with. I liked how it looked, not too dark to attract attention, but dark enough for a little bit of cool 8)

Ziebart's where we had our old Loomie tinted, (it was $275 for the "premium" tint) and they did the rear window with one piece. We went 32 on the sides and 20 on the back window and it looked plenty dark. My wife did get stopped one night by a state trooper when she had a stupid bowtie sticker on the back window, and he cited her for illegal tint (and suprisingly not for having a sticker "obstructing the rear-view.") After I scraped that retarded sticker off (she put it there, not me :x ) neither of us got stopped in that car again.

BTW, in Minnesota the law is 50%. Moral of the story, don't attract attention to your car with stupid, gaudy stickers (like a gigantic bowtie on the back window) and the cops won't pull you over...

Ziebart's where we had our old Loomie tinted, (it was $275 for the "premium" tint) and they did the rear window with one piece. We went 32 on the sides and 20 on the back window and it looked plenty dark. My wife did get stopped one night by a state trooper when she had a stupid bowtie sticker on the back window, and he cited her for illegal tint (and suprisingly not for having a sticker "obstructing the rear-view.") After I scraped that retarded sticker off (she put it there, not me :x ) neither of us got stopped in that car again.

BTW, in Minnesota the law is 50%. Moral of the story, don't attract attention to your car with stupid, gaudy stickers (like a gigantic bowtie on the back window) and the cops won't pull you over...

I was wondering why it was so cheap, so I kept asking them what levels of "quality" they have... The guy said, we have a great "special" running now on tinting, so that's why it's so cheap. He said "well, the tint is metal-based and you get a lifetime warranty against turning purple and bubbles and what not..." I couldn't get out of him whether there were different tiers of tint jobs, basic, premium or what not. But $130 does seem awfully cheap... We'll see how it looks, I'll post pics...

And, I did want a huge bowtie :roll: but now won't get it if you say so... :?

$130 is a good deal, but it isn't scary cheap so I wouldn't worry about it. Tint job prices vary so much from place to place and city to city. As long as you got one with a warranty you should be set.

You could have them make a bowtie out of 15 or 10% tint and layer it on the main tint, to get a shadowed bowtie on the rear window. That wouldn't be too noticeable either.

You could have them make a bowtie out of 15 or 10% tint and layer it on the main tint, to get a shadowed bowtie on the rear window. That wouldn't be too noticeable either.

IMO, that would look really dorky.

$130 is a good deal, but it isn't scary cheap so I wouldn't worry about it. Tint job prices vary so much from place to place and city to city. As long as you got one with a warranty you should be set.

yeah I agree, I paid $145 for my tint a few years ago metal based and a very good job was done on it. Lifetime warranty even but im not in MI anymore :cry:

Even the metalliacs get lighter over time. I remeber when I first got my 5% on the rear window I could hardly see out the back at night now its lighter than it was but not turning purple.

Florida law is 28% front and 15% rear... pretty leaniant actually. My car already had aftermarket tint on it when I bought it. It's already pretty dark, but you got me as to what the numbers are. It's starting to turn purple in a few places though, so i'm gonna have to replace probably within the next year.

Just called and the guy said it was done.

He said 1) not to use ammonia based cleaners on the inside, 2) not to roll down the windows for about 3 days, and 3) that they're going to look hazy and have tiny water bubbles for about 10 days to 2 weeks before it all sets in well, so that I shouldn't panic.

I have no problem with not rolling the windows down, but I can use the air conditioner, right??

Can't wait to pick it up :)

the actual NYS tint law is 70% tint (which comes from the factory) on front driver side and passenger side window, and i believe 5% on the rear side and rear window. Most of the time the police won't pull you over just for tint. Ususally it will be for something else. But if you do get pulled over, they most definately can write you a ticket (which btw is about $120). :evil:

I have no problem with not rolling the windows down, but I can use the air conditioner, right??

Can't wait to pick it up :)

When I had the tint done on my 88' GP I had to bake for several days.. :lol:

Yay, it's at home. I was a tiny bit disappointed at first because of two things, first I didn't think it was dark enough, and second because they left like a one inch gap untinted at the top of the rear glass, not sure why. There are black lines running across there, so it doesn't look bad at all. And, they did cut out the space for the third brake light in the window, but whoever said it looks like crap was wrong. I actually didn't think they cut it out until I went in for a really close look, only then I could see it. And it was done so carefully that you'd never know it wasn't supposed to be like that.

Now that I drove it home, I think it IS dark enough, and I am already looking right and left out of fear for cops. I think after a couple of weeks I'll come down, but I'm thinking that if I get pulled over how the hell am I not supposed to roll my window down? So, I'm driving 55 in a 55 and 35 in a 35... just in case...:skep: and yes, that sucks. In the Lumina it feels like I'm standing in place when I'm going 35 :roll:

Anyways, it does look a little hazy now but only if you look close. On the outside it looks sweet. Also, I have no clue if they did the rear window in one or two pieces, but I can't tell, so either they did a really good job with 2 pieces or they did it in one. In any case, it looks great. Will post pics later in Member's Rides...

Thanks for all your replies, it was a nerve wrecking experience :lol:

Oh, and now I feel like an ass because I spent $144 (after taxes) for being vain... :oops: