3.1 engine, changing rear spark plugs

pjrobbins

I have a 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme with 3.1 engine.

How do I make it easier to change the three rear spark plugs?

Manual calls for tipping the engine with special tool, what else works.

Any help is appreciated. Last time I did this it was 4 hours, 1/4 hour for the from three and the rest for the rear three.

bacially its a bitch :lol: but like C-BAD said, get someone with a skinny arm. You basically have to feel your way to get them out because you cant see there, well at least I couldnt.

But on my '94, I have to change them every 30,000

the 3.1's aren't that bad i've done quite a few, i wouldn't pull the coil packs, i would just pull the alternator out of the way and tip the engine forward by removing the two torque struts at the front , pry the motor forward, and put say a block of wood between the firewall and the upper plenum to keep it rocked forward

not the best way but it works especially when your in the driveway

Here's the solution my friend Matt and I used:

1. Disconnect front dogbones

2. Repark friend's car such that the cars are nose to nose

3. Find a rachet strap with hooks on both ends. Put one hook into the engine lift hole located on the back left (pass.) side of the engine; attach the other hook to the front of your friend's car

4. With rachet strap secure, tighten the strap up, and as you crank the strap to increase tension, the engine will be rocked forward, allowing easy access to the rear plugs

viola! :D

Damn, isn't there an easier way to do this. I mean, using someones car sounds alittle too extreme. I'm looking at my 91 GP with the 3.1 motor and I am amazed on how well GM will engineer these to make it almost impossible to work on them. I can do the spark plugs on my 530 in about a half hour, hmmm. :|

It is NOT difficult. Hell, if you need help, IM me and I'll be glad to drive out there with my friend to help you out. I'm 10 minutes from Hartsfield. Changing the spark plugs is a one-person job easily. I'm a pretty skinny prick, yet I can pull the engine forward, lock the dogbone in place, and do the sparkplugs with no problem. But like I said, if you'd like me to come over and give you hand, I'd be happy to.

Hit me up on AIM at: digitaloutsider@mac.com

Its not hard AT ALL. I can do plugs on a 3.1 in less than 15 minutes, and a 3100 in about 10 minutes or so. (3100's are easier because I have never needed to rock the engine for a plug change before with a 3100) All you do is disconnect the dogbones, rock the car forward and hit the ebrake so it stays (or use a wheel chuck or block of wood behind the tire to hold it) and pull the plugs out. Put new plugs in, put wires on, release ebrake (or move wheel chucks/wood), put dogbones back on, and do front plugs.

Shawn

Its not hard AT ALL. I can do plugs on a 3.1 in less than 15 minutes, and a 3100 in about 10 minutes or so. (3100's are easier because I have never needed to rock the engine for a plug change before with a 3100) All you do is disconnect the dogbones, rock the car forward and hit the ebrake so it stays (or use a wheel chuck or block of wood behind the tire to hold it) and pull the plugs out. Put new plugs in, put wires on, release ebrake (or move wheel chucks/wood), put dogbones back on, and do front plugs.

Shawn

Goodie.. I'm glad to hear 3100s are easier. My 2.8 was a bitch.. plus the ebrake on my car actually works! :mrgreen:

It's running good but I've never checked them so it's something I should get around to doing one of these days...

Just make one of these babies. cost about 6 bucks to make. Put it in place of one of the dog bones and crank the motor forward using a wrench on the outer bolt. pushing the mother back is the opposite with the other bolt (hook sometimes gets stuck on the threads so the second bolt is needed)

IM000723.jpg

I've been using this thing since I got the car back in 2000

personally I dont think you need to remove the dogbones, I think thats just more work. When I have to change plugs, I just feel where the plugs are and take them out. Its not hard at all, takes about 5 minutes, I know because I had to pull all the back plugs because I lost a cylinder and had to find out what it was. but I just think all that stuff is more work than needed, but thats just me

personally I dont think you need to remove the dogbones, I think thats just more work. When I have to change plugs, I just feel where the plugs are and take them out. Its not hard at all, takes about 5 minutes, I know because I had to pull all the back plugs because I lost a cylinder and had to find out what it was. but I just think all that stuff is more work than needed, but thats just me

On a 3100 there is ample room without removing the dogbones, on a Gen II 3.1 I'd like to see someone do it without rocking the engine quicker than I can do it when I do rock the engine. (I'd actually like to see someone do it period, because I've never tried and it looks like a PITA!) The plenum on the 3.1 sticks out another inch and a half or so, leaving a lot less room back there for your arm. On the 3100 the plenum only goes the width of the valve covers so you have much more room.

Shawn

WEll, I got it done in less then a half hour for all the plugs. Not bad for me I guess because I am used to real weel drive German cars. A lot easier then I thought. Runs way better now, thx for al the suggestions.